Top Five Tips For Professional Make Up Artists From Zena Shteysel
Emmy Award winning make up artist Zena Shteysel and founder of the Z Palette, has been meeting with the beauty press offering tips for clients on how to look their best. Modern asked Zena to come up with her 5 tips for success for the professional make up artist.
1. A great attitude and personality sets you apart - be a go-getter. As a department head of makeup on Dancing with the Stars when I see these qualities in makeup artists I always hire the person again.
2. Always be on time. Your client or production wants to know they can count on you.
3. Condense your kit so you don't lug everything to every job and break your back. A Z Palette is perfect for this. It's an empty magnetic freestyle palette that allows you to fit all different sizes of eye shadows, blushes, powders, lipsticks, etc into one palette.
4. Continue to educate and learn new tips by watching other artists, YouTube videos, and books to improve on your skills. Integrate these new tips into your repertoire.
5. Look to other makeup artists not as your competition but those that can help you find your next job. Throughout my years as a makeup artist 90% of my jobs came from other artists rather than producers/clients.