Resurgence Renewal Facial
Make-up: Jenny GillamPhoto By Photo shoot coordinator: Alicia Liotta Photography: Steven Barston Photo 2 of 15
1. Perform Beginning Ritual. Relax client by squeezing knees and pulling downward to ankles three times. Follow by removing make-up; then cleanse face, neck and décolleté twice with Renewing Cleanser under gentle steam.Photo 4 of 15
2. Analyze skin under magnifying lamp. Then apply four pumps of Prepping Solution to gauze to prepare skin. Gently sweep over face, neck and décolleté, avoiding the eye area.Photo 5 of 15
3. Dispense four pumps AHA Rapid Exfoliator into a dosage cup—Mild, Regular or Maximum Strength based on client’s skin. Apply with a cotton tip applicator in a circular motion. Leave on for 5 to 10 minutes. While waiting, massage client’s hands with Body Firming Cream, then apply paraffin and hand in mitts.Photo 6 of 15
4. After removing exfoliator, perform manual extractions. Follow with high frequency unless contraindicated.Photo 7 of 15
5. Saturate cotton pad with Clarifying Toner and sweep upward over face. Follow with an application of Soothing Massage Cream to face, neck and décolleté. Massage in for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove with wet cotton pads.Photo 8 of 15
6. Mix Professional Eye Renewal Mask in a small mixing bowl with a spatula until product is creamy. Apply thickly to entire eye area with cotton-tip applicator. Leave on 7 to 10 minutes.Photo 9 of 15
7. While eye mask is on, apply Firming Treatment Mask. Leave on for 10 minutes. Remove paraffin from hands, and massage hands and arms for five minutes using Body Firming Cream.Photo 10 of 15
8. Remove face and eye masks with moist cotton pads. Follow with cotton pad saturated with Hydrating Toner. Apply one pump of Age-Diffusing Serum to face, neck and décolleté; massage until completely absorbed.Photo 11 of 15
9. Treat eye area with Renewing Eye Cream, then apply Essential-C Eye Cream SPF 15 to hydrate and protect.Photo 12 of 15
10. Complete the treatment with application of Sheer Lustre Day Moisture SPF 15. Then apply Soothing Skin and Lip Therapy to lips.Photo 13 of 15
11. Perform closing ritual. Place a warm towel around client’s neck and over the shoulders. Press down lightly on shoulder area. Sit client up and bring towel down over the upper back area. Apply light massage movements over the towel and remove.Photo 14 of 15
12. Offer client a single packet of Youth Builder Dietary Supplement tablets or Wet Suit Cell Hydrating Dietary Supplement tablets to complement the treatment. Fill out prescription sheet and review with client.Photo 15 of 15
This signature treatment combines science and wellness for refreshing results.
The Murad Inclusive Health Center and Spa in El Segundo, California, is one of the few spas that manages to walk the difficult fine line between medical and wellness. It’s easy to see why: Everything is based around the whole-body health philosophies of its founder, Dr. Howard Murad. According to Lori Cahitas, the spa’s service manager and a practicing esthetician, what they’ve achieved is a “good mix.”
The spa has adopted medical practices, like using vinyl gloves throughout the treatment, and a “one-touch system” where everything that is used on the client is tossed after the appointment. For example, instead of using fan brushes for application, they use wooden spatulas and large cotton swabs. But, they also have traditional spa touches, like lit candles, comfy linens, and beginning and closing rituals that start and end each service. In the end, though, it’s about the results—making clients look and feel better—and they accomplish that too.
For Cahitas and her fellow estheticians, their role in wellness goes beyond just skin care. “We try to link everything —the internal, external and emotional,” she says. “We ask them when they last took a walk, when they did something for themselves, how often they’re eating and whether they’re taking supplements. We give them little tips, like wiping down their office phones and changing pillow cases. We care about the whole self, not just ‘this is what you have to buy to put on your face.’”
That is also where the “Inclusive Health Center” part comes in. Anyone can go into the spa for a facial, but if they want to address underlying issues, including weight loss and hormonal problems, they can go right next door to the center and have a wellness consultation. “It’s for people who are concerned about their lifestyle, who want to be in the best health they can be in,” says Tara Hitzig, director of operations for the entire health center and spa. “We evaluate their lifestyle, stress levels, how they eat and how often they exercise. Then, we do some diagnostics, like body fat composition and cellular water levels. Afterward, we go over all the results and put them on a program, which can include services like facials, massages, laser services, acupuncture and yoga.” All the services needed can be found either in the center, the spa, or clients can be referred to see Dr. Murad, or any of the dermatologists that work with him in the medical offices upstairs. It’s truly a one-stop shop when it comes to beauty, inside and out!
Therapist: Lori Cahitas
Spa: Murad Inclusive Health Center and Spa, El Segundo, CA
Snapshot: A moisture-infusing facial for mature, dehydrated skin.
Contraindications: Avoid using on open or irritated skin. Not recommended for clients using a topical retinoid prescription (suspend use one week prior) or Accutane. Do not use on freshly waxed skin (wait 24-48 hours). Not recommended for use after microdermabrasion.
Duration: 60 minutes
Recommended Home Care:
Morning: Renewing Cleansing Cream, Hydrating Toner, Age-Diffusing Serum, Renewing Eye Cream, Essential-C Eye Cream SPF 15, Sheer Lustre Day Moisture SPF 15
Evening: Renewing Cleansing Cream, Hydrating Toner, Age-Diffusing Serum, Renewing Eye Cream, Age Balancing Night Cream
Renewal Home Facial Kit
Clients looking to boost their results can purchase this handy little take-home kit and perform their own facial once a week. It includes a facial mask and a gel eye mask. Service manager and esthetician, Lori Cahitas, recommends that clients cleanse and tone, then apply the mask for 10 minutes. It’s particularly effective for clients to do the mask right before they come in to see you for their weekly facial.