NAHA winner Faatemah Ampey uses pre-made pieces and accessories to make this updo extra special. Try it on clients for an extraordinary new year’s eve style! See Faatemah in this season’s Shear Genius starting February 8 on Bravo!
Hair: Faatemah Ampey
Make-up: David Maderich for mistermakeup.com
Photography: Roberto Ligestri
Photo 1 of 9
Before: Long hair makes for a great updo.
Photo 2 of 9
1. Prepare the hair by setting in jumbo horizontal sections using a curling iron. Begin at the nape.
Photo 3 of 9
2. Then lift up the entire section from above the rounds of the head. Spray along the root area for lift.
Photo 4 of 9
3. Blow dry to direct the hair up.
Photo 5 of 9
4. Place a rat or cushion along the base.
Photo 6 of 9
5. Drop out a section below and brush up and over the cushion. Secure at the top with bobby pins.
Photo 7 of 9
6. Take the length of the top section, direct to the crown and back comb.
Photo 8 of 9
7. Attach a pre-made piece along the rounds of the head. Secure with bobby pins.
To celebrate the brand's 10-year anniversary, Oribe Hair Care invited artist and educator Adam Livermore on set to show how 10 of the original products are still relevant 10 years after Oribe’s launch: gels that condition, oils that hold, sprays that don’t flake, skin-care-grade shampoos that prep hair for styling and gently balance the scalp and masques that have the richness and body of a lavish moisturizing cream.
These 20 stylists have shown that the ponytail can be so much more. From power looks to piece-y textures and intricate bridal ponies, this style has pushed its way to the top tier of updos. We've gathered 20 of our favorite ponytails from Instagram to inspire you to create your own.