NAHA winner Faatemah Ampey uses pre-made pieces and accessories to make this updo extra special. Try it on clients for an extraordinary new year’s eve style! See Faatemah in this season’s Shear Genius starting February 8 on Bravo!
Hair: Faatemah Ampey
Make-up: David Maderich for mistermakeup.com
Photography: Roberto Ligestri
Photo 1 of 9
Before: Long hair makes for a great updo.
Photo 2 of 9
1. Prepare the hair by setting in jumbo horizontal sections using a curling iron. Begin at the nape.
Photo 3 of 9
2. Then lift up the entire section from above the rounds of the head. Spray along the root area for lift.
Photo 4 of 9
3. Blow dry to direct the hair up.
Photo 5 of 9
4. Place a rat or cushion along the base.
Photo 6 of 9
5. Drop out a section below and brush up and over the cushion. Secure at the top with bobby pins.
Photo 7 of 9
6. Take the length of the top section, direct to the crown and back comb.
Photo 8 of 9
7. Attach a pre-made piece along the rounds of the head. Secure with bobby pins.
Watching someone adept at using a Marcel iron is both beautiful and intimidating if you’re not part of the tribe. And it’s a tribe worth joining for a very important reason. “It’s so fast!” says Detra Smith, Artistic Director for HOT Tools Professional. “And really much easier than curling hair with a spring iron.” Here, Detra shares her tried and true tips and techniques for mastering the Marcel and provides a riveting demo!
Stylists who excel in the art of the updo often develop clever little tricks for creating outstanding work. Here are three go-to techniques, created by Sexy Hair artists, used to create the three looks in their latest collections.