Blower and iron: Ted Gibson
Brushes: Denman, YS Park
Curling Iron: Hot Tools
Stylers: Beautiful Hold Hairspray, Hair
Treatment Sheet, Styling Sheet, Fix It
Gel, Build It Blow Drying Agent and
Tame It Shine Lotion all by Ted Gibson.
Make-up: Temptu Cosmetics
(foundation), Mirabella (eye), Your Name Cosmetics (lip)
Devore satin gown by Donna Karan, crystal earrings, cuffs and rings by Dannijo.
Photo 2 of 8
1. Rub the styling sheet through hair.
Photo 3 of 8
2. Blow dry medium sections over round brush.
Photo 4 of 8
3. Gently apply baby powder to one-inch sections. This is for control, body and to refresh the hair (Ted sometimes uses dry shampoo).
Photo 5 of 8
4. Wrap medium sections around a large curling iron, wrapping back and away from face.
Photo 6 of 8
5. At nape wrap vertically and allow hair to cool.
Photo 7 of 8
6. Take a large section from the front and roll back. Secure with pins. Pull out sections to create width.
Watching someone adept at using a Marcel iron is both beautiful and intimidating if you’re not part of the tribe. And it’s a tribe worth joining for a very important reason. “It’s so fast!” says Detra Smith, Artistic Director for HOT Tools Professional. “And really much easier than curling hair with a spring iron.” Here, Detra shares her tried and true tips and techniques for mastering the Marcel and provides a riveting demo!
Stylists who excel in the art of the updo often develop clever little tricks for creating outstanding work. Here are three go-to techniques, created by Sexy Hair artists, used to create the three looks in their latest collections.