FASHION WEEK: Windswept Hair at Rodarte
Aveda lead stylist Odile Gilbert created beautifully windswept hair using Aveda Phomollient Styling Foam and Aveda Air Control Hair Spray at the Rodarte Fall/Winter 2011 show.
âWe wanted the hair to look naturally windswept for this season. Odile brought that to life beautifully."âKate and Laura Mulleavy of Rodarte
1. Apply Aveda Phomollient Styling Foam to damp hair for weightless volume. Blow-dry while using hands to scrunch and twist the hair for texture.
2. Use your fingers to create a strong, slightly imperfect, left side part for a natural look.
3. When hair is partially dry, take a two-inch piece from the front, right side of the hairâat the hairlineâand twist it so that it swoops loosely over the right eye. Secure with a bobby pin just above the right ear. Finish drying the hair, continuing to use fingers to add texture.
4. Release the pin from above the right ear and release side swept hair. Add a generous amount of Aveda Phomollient Styling Foam for an ultra-textured, wavy look. Spray that piece liberally with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray for flexible hold and blow it dry.
5. Gather all hair on the right shoulder. Take a two-inch section from the hairline on the back, right side of the head and gently twist it while pulling it over to the right side of the head, at the ear.
6. Pull a two-inch section of hair from the hairline in front of the right ear and twist with the section pulled from the back to create a small, two-to-three-inch herringbone braid. Secure with a clear elastic.
7. Tie the section of hair coming from the clear elastic into small knots, concealing the elastic and adding texture to the look.
8. Pull the ultra-textured section of hair from the front and drape it over the right eye. Tuck the ends of that front piece between the braid and the hair that is down and secure on the right sideâat the earâwith a bobby pin.
9. Coat hair with Aveda Air Control Hair Spray for hold.
10. Add texture to the look by rubbing small sections of hair between the thumb and forefinger. Arrange all remaining hair to the right so that it falls over the right shoulder. Scrunch ends of hair with fingers for extra texture and finish the look with a generous mist of Aveda Control Force Firm Hold Hair Spray.