FASHION WEEK: Anthony Cole at Alice and Olivia
Putting a fresh, mix-and-match twist on dressing for a dinner party, Sebastian Professional lead stylist Anthony Cole created a swept-back, "romantic with an edge" chignon for the Alice and Olivia Autumn/Winter 2012 collection shown yesterday at New York Fashion Week. It was a beauty festival backstage with a wonderfully organized area for hair, nails and make up, but it was the models’ loosely constructed chignons that was creating much of the buzz. “It's a sexy and playful look," Anthony told me. "It offers the best of all worlds.This shape perfectly complements the fashion. And to top it off, this is a fun show to be part of!"
I caught up with Anthony as he finished his 12th model of the afternoon and he shared his "how-to" for the designer's "Lolita" inspired collection.
Hair Product Cocktail:
1. On damp hair, apply a palmful of Sebastian Professional Whipped Crème throughout. Then, layer in a palmful of Mousse Forte. This combination will give the hair long-lasting, defrizzed body.
2. Blow-dry smooth using a large round brush. Once dry, divide hair in half horizontally, from recession to the back of the crown. Pin aside the top section and pull the bottom into a tight ponytail at the occipital bone.
3. Twist the ponytail around the base and pin to secure. Spray with Sebastian Professional Shaper hairspray for shape and hold.
4. Take down the top section and create a middle part. Taking one side at a time, smooth back each section to twist and pin around the chignon in the back. Be sure to keep the hair loose in the front so the hairline does not show.
5. Detail random pieces of the chignon with Sebastian Professional Craft Clay for matte hold. Pull pieces from under each top section loose to frame the face.
6. Once in shape, lightly spray Sebastian Professional Trilliant over the finished look for a touch of shimmer and shine.