Renews: Keep Your Finger on the Pulse
With global influence (Thai massage, anyone?), a more diverse client base (including children!) and treatments for every body part (think facials for the decollete and derriere), keeping on top of trends and separating fact from fluff is a top challenge for every skin care professional.
How do you do it? Sharon Grasso, esthetician and educator at DePasquale The Spa in Morris Plains, New Jersey, says the first step to success is possessing drive and an incredible work ethic. "You have to have the mindset of a sponge and be willing to learn in every possible way," she explains. Here, her tips for success:
1. Subscribe to trade magazines (like renew magazine).
2. Invest in educational DVDs to learn techniques.
3. Know who's who in the industry, and make it a point to attend trade shows where they'll be appearing in an educational forum.
4. Pick an education seminar out of your league and attend the class anyway, to learn terminology and meet other ambitious professionals in the industry.
5. Treat yourself to services at other spas to learn what other estheticians are educating their clients about.
For more success tips and educational offerings, keep an eye out for "Higher Education" in the September/October 2006 issue of renew!