Tips & Tricks for Submitting to NAHA and Other Hairstyling Competition
With the online submission process underway, the Professional Beauty Association (PBA) has released a list of tips and tricks for those interested in entering the 2015 North American Hairstyling Awards (NAHA). Put together with the help of the new NAHA Committee Chair, Michael Shaun Corby, additional NAHA committee members and judges and PBA staff, this list gives applicants an idea of what to do and what not to do before submitting their final NAHA application online and offers suggestions on how to get the most out of the application process.
"Over the years we've noticed applicants making little, simple errors that get them disqualified. These errors could have been prevented had they just double-checked their entry and NAHA rules. We want as many applicants as possible this year, so we are hoping applicants will use these tips and tricks and get to the judging process without being disqualified," said Jessi Marshall, PBA Director of Education & Industry Programs.
NAHA 2015 Tips and Tricks:
- Read the rules carefully. Don't be disqualified for small mistakes in your application. Double check that your application is filled out correctly and that your submission photos meet all the necessary requirements and Photoshop rules.
- Watch the free NAHA webinar series. Featuring previous judges and winners, this webinar series will answer many of your NAHA questions. From finding inspiration and creating your entry to conducting a photoshoot and submitting your application, this three-part webinar series covers important topics that every NAHA applicant should know.
- Get a mentor. Past NAHA finalists and winners have a wealth of knowledge to offer new applicants. Don't be afraid to ask for advice and to learn from other stylists.
- Use online resources to save money on your NAHA photoshoot. Entering NAHA doesn't have to be expensive. Take advantage of resources that offer photographers, models, etc. for photoshoots on a budget.
- Depending on the category you enter, keep hair, makeup or nails the focus of your submission photos. Keep submission photos simple, polished and clean with the focus being the styles you create with hair, makeup and nails to showcase your abilities as an artist. Don't rely on props to carry your images or let them be the focus of your NAHA shoot.
- Don't include your name or the name of your salon on your submission photos. NAHA judging is blind, so marking your submission photos will get you disqualified.
- Be careful what you share on social media. Posting final images could get you disqualified.
- Don't wait until February 19th to submit your application. Give yourself enough time to double-check your entry against the competition rules and be confident in your entry before you submit it. Submit your work early to eliminate stress and catch any last-minute mistakes.
In addition to offering applicants tips for entering NAHA, PBA is also excited to announce Michael Shaun Corby as the new NAHA Committee Chair. As a renowned international platform artist, styling and cutting genius and Hollywood insider, Corby regularly raises the bar on innovation at Alterna Professional Haircare, where he is the Global Creative Director. Since entering the professional salon industry 25 years ago, Corby has been in demand by top celebs and world-renowned stylists alike. Prior to joining Alterna, Corby was a stylist for over 10 years, creating fabulous hair that has graced chart-topping music videos, must-see television shows and A-list films, and the hottest runway shows in Los Angeles and New York.
"Chairing the NAHA Committee is a great honor. As a Committee, we take pride in rewarding individuals from all walks of life, from the newest talent to the genius legends of our industry. The future looks bright as we look at a variety of opportunities to grow the NAHA award into a NAHA brand," said Michael Shaun Corby, NAHA Committee Chair. "We would like to reach a bigger audience and bring more recognition to the NAHA brand not only in the form of recognition and showcasing the greatest talent in North America, but also offering a variety of new venues, forums and education. So many exciting things on the table I can't wait to dig in with the Committee to help maintain the legacy of NAHA while growing the brand to the next level."
NAHA is the most prestigious photographic beauty competition in North America. Each year, individuals are recognized in various categories for their outstanding skill and artistry in the professional salon industry. NAHA entry and recognition adds prestige to a stylist's or salon professional's portfolio and places these individuals amongst the industry's brightest and most talented artists. NAHA is part of PBA Beauty Week, North America's largest, most inclusive beauty event hosted by Cosmoprof North America. NAHA is held on July 12, 2015, at the Mandalay Bay Resort in Las Vegas, NV. For more information and to apply, visit probeauty.org/naha.