TRANSFORMATION: Unicorn Beauty
Lien Ngu-Jovel (IG: @lien_ngu), a stylist and wax specialist at Looks Hair Design in State College, PA, has been in the beauty industry for more than 13 years. Custom coloring; balayage, ombre finishes and body waxing are just a few of her favorite services. However, applying fashion colors is a particular fave. "I usually call all girls that I do fashion colors on my magical unicorns," says Ngu-Jovel.
Ngu-Jovel and Meagan, the client in these photos, have been friends since 2009. "Meagan's style has always been retro/hipster," says Ngu-Jovel. "Now she's living in Portland, Oregon, and needs to have unicorn awesome hair!"
Here Ngu-Jovel offers the HOW TO:
Step 1: Ombre balayage hair with Redken Powerlift blended with 30 volume developer (using 2:1 ratio). Refresh bleach every 15 minutes. Lift to a level 9-10.
Step 2: Rinse hair with Redken Cleansing Cream shampoo, followed by Pre-Art. Process with Redken Cat for 10 minutes.
Step 3: Dry hair completely.
Step 4: Prepare the following using Pravana:
-formula 1- Violet.
-formula 2 -1/2 Violet + 1/2 clear.
-formula 3 - 1/2 Lavender + 1/2 Silver with small dot of Violet.
Step 5: Apply formula 1 at roots blending to formula 2 for mids blending to formula 3 at ends.
Step 6: Process under heat lamps for 30 minutes. Then 15 minutes cool down.
Step 7: Rinse with cold water. Shampoo lightly with Pureology Hydrate then follow with Blonda Unite conditioner.
Step 8: Style using Redken Prime, Pureology Perfect for Platinum Leave In conditioner, then BlowPro Express Blow-Out lotion cocktailed BlowPro Weather Girl Serum.
Here Ngu-Jovel shares tips for maintaining fashion colors. "These are items I swear by to get the best long life of fashion colors while also rebuilding the hair inside out. Most of the girls that I do fashion colors on are pre-lightened first. Since their hair can range from going 3-7 levels higher than their natural color I do not let them leave the salon without the following":
1. Pureology Strengthen Cure shampoo and conditioner. "It helps repair micro-scarred hair and it's also a sulfate free, paraben free & color safe. I introduce clients to their new hair life regimen in order to make the color last. Shampoo and condition hair no more than 2 times a week, and only using cold water."
2. Pureology Perfect for Platinum Leave In conditioner. "It helps even out porosity and fills the gaps in the hair with protein. Also it's an amazing detangler!"
3. Style products: "I usually leave this up to the client depending on hair texture."
4. "I often recommend clients use dry shampoo to minimize over shampooing the hair. This will help maintain the color.
5. "I always remind clients to not get their hair wet while showering, unless they are actually washing the hair. I often suggest a good shower cap that doesn't let moist in."
Meagan selfie after a few shampoos.