Mobile Health Apps
From all indications, smartphones will be doing more heavy lifting in healthcare. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) expects that 500 million smartphone users worldwide will be using a health care application this year and that, by 2018, 50 percent of smartphone and tablet users will have downloaded mobile health applications. These mobile medical apps do everything from monitoring caloric intake to diagnosing heart rhythm abnormalities and linking to a diabetic patient’s glucose meter.
For everyday motivation to eat well and keep moving, try these smartphone apps:
- Fooducate. Find out everything about the food you’re buying by scanning the bar code. In addition to providing nutrition information about the food, Fooducate suggests alternatives when it thinks you could make a better choice.
- HealthyOut. You’ll find the healthiest meal to eat at a restaurant or the best choice in ordering out when you search your local area with HealthyOut. Insert your own restrictions, such as vegan, low-carb or gluten-free.
- FitStar. Working out at home? With FitStar you’ll have a personal coach in former NFL player Tony Gonzalez. The interactive technology lets you determine a level for each exercise that is “just right”—not too easy or too hard.
- Zombies, Run! If you want your jog to have a purpose, you can’t beat outrunning zombies. Zombies, Run! keeps track of your stats as you participate in an adventure and fulfill the mission.
- MyFitnessPal and Nudge. These two popular apps help you assess how you’re doing in both nutrition and working out when you input everything you eat and every exercise you do. MyFitnessPal connects you with a community if you want to discuss, while Nudge lets you compare your health score with that of friends and family.
- Fitocracy. If you enjoy working out with friends, Fitocracy widens your social circle! The entire Fitocracy community is at your fingertips to encourage each other or compete with each other. Log and design your workouts, and the app rewards you with badges as you progress.