Van Council Named Intercoiffure Fashion Director
The Intercoiffure America/Canada (ICA) Spring Atelier, held this past weekend in Boca Raton, Forida, just wrapped up after 2 days of intense beauty, fashion, business, networking and fun. However, there is still lots of buzz about the surprising and exciting appointment of the new Fashion Director, Van Council.
Council is well known in the industry for both his fashion and business sense. Owner of the Van Michael Concept Salons in Atlanta, Georgia, founded in the mid 1980's, Council has continued to grow his business while maintaining his art and winning prestigious styling and business awards and multiple NAHA awards including “North American Hairstylist of the Year”, “Avant Garde Stylist of the Year” and “Makeover Stylist of the Year”. He continues to service his ever-expanding schedule of private and celebrity clients as well as utilizing his creative and technical expertise as one of the leading spokespeople for Aveda worldwide.
Council's first reaction when being invited by new president, Frank Gambuzza, to be the Fashion Director was not enthusiastic. "I definitely don't want to do this," he said laughing, acknowledging the amount of work and pressure in the position, "but I would be a fool not to." Most importantly, Council says, "I am honored to be part of this," he says. "It's humbling to be around this group and these members."
MODERN grabbed Council moments before he was introduced on stage to ask about his plans as ICA Fashion Director. Check out this short video to learn more:
Council's many awards include:
- Best Women’s Haircut, Atlanta Business Chronicle
- Editor’s, Beauty Press
- Top 20 Salon Owner in the Country, Salon Today Magazine, – North American Hairdresser of the Year, North American Hairstyling Awards
- Best Salon Atlanta Journal and Constitution
- Readers Choice, Atlanta Business Chronicles
- Four Time Winner of NAHA, North American Hairstyling Awards
- Avant Garde Stylist of the Year, North American Hairstyling Awards
- Makeover Stylist of the Year, two-time winner, North American Hairstyling Awards
- World Masters Award for Lifetime Achievement, Aveda Corporation
- Best Haircut and Overall Look, KMS
- Best Haircolor, Framesi Haircolor
- Best Haircut and Overall Style, Zotos
- Top 75 Educators of the Century, Modern Salon
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Aveda Corporation
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Art and Fashion Group