How-To: Mood Ring Haircolor for Festival Season (+Video!)
Color: Danny Moon Style: Kait Maire Makeup: Karen Sarahi Gonzalez Model: Francis Lola (photo credit: Huck Hinshaw)Photo By Huck Hinshaw
Longer, warmer days usher in carefree festival season. This is a great time for you to fill your book with creative color, blowouts that will last for days (showers and festivals are not typically associated with each other) and quick, braided styles.
Pravana took this annual opportunity to create some gorgeous color and styles that will stand out in the masses and last through long weekends.
First up, celeb stylist Danny Moon teams up with style blogger Francis Lola to give her cool color inspired by ever-changing mood rings. The toned-down pastels are right on trend and less in-your-face than colors seen the past few summers.
Bubblgum pink: Vivids Pink + Vivids Magenta (2 drops)
Marsala: 6 parts Vivids Wild Orchid + 2 parts Vivids Yellow + 1 part Pastels Luscious Lavender
Cranberry: 6 parts Vivids Wild Orchid + 2 parts Vivids Red + 2 parts Pastels Pretty in Pink + 1 part Vivids Blue
Purple: 1 part Vivids Violet + 1 part Pastels Luscious Lavender
Bright Lavender: 6 parts Pastels Luscious Lavender + 4 parts Pastels Pretty in Pink + 1 part Vivids Violet
Slate Blue: 15 parts Vivids Blue + 1 part Vivids Silver + 1 part Pastels Luscious Lavender
Deep Blue: 2 parts Vivds Blue + 1 part Vivids Violet
- Pre-lighten hair to a level-10 palest blonde with Pravana’s Pure Light Power Lightener.
- Create your custom colors to mimic those found in a mood ring (see formulas above).
- Part the hair just below the parietal and create a U-shape at the occipital. Part the top portion in three even sections.
- To create movement, hair will be parted and color will be applied to thirds or halves of the hair strand.
PRO TIP: When in doubt, always work in smaller sections. It allows color to stay in place.
- Working up in 1-inch pieces, continue applying the deep blue at the regrowth, then meet halfway with the slate blue or in thirds with the purple and bubblegum pink. Feel free to be creative with your color placement.
PRO TIP: Have a damp towel handy to wipe hands constantly and prevent unwanted color transfer.
- Create a dark to light progression of color as you frame the face with deep blue to slate blue to bubblegum pink. Repeat on the other side.
- In the back section, start with marsala at the root and switch off on various parted strands by meeting purple in the middle and bubblegum pink or slate blue and purple on the ends.
PRO TIP: As you are working through toward the top, touch up new growth with Vivids Magenta to add a pop of vibrancy among the muted pink shades.
- For the brighter top section, take marsala from the regrowth to about halfway down on all the pieces. Then rotate using cranberry, slate blue, purple and bubblegum pink.
- Process for 20-30 minutes. Rinse with cool water, then follow up with Vivids Color Protect Shampoo and Conditioner.