Motley Hue Pravana Color How-To
Pravana Guest Artist Danny Moon shares with us the details of creating this vivid, polychrome work of art.
“My vision was to create a modern and more sophisticated multicolor look, showcasing the freedom of placement with the new Pravana Vivids Locked-In shades,” Moon says. “The result is a high-definition color masterpiece that doesn’t move until the client tosses her hair. We call it Motley Hue.”
FORMULA AND APPLICATION
Natural level 7
Formula 1: Pravana Pure Light Power Lightener with your choice of developer volume, mixed in a 1:3 ratio.
Formula 2—Custom Locked-In Coral: 1 oz Vivids Clear + 1/8 oz Locked-In Pink + 1/8 oz Locked-In Orange
Formula 3—Custom Locked-In Light Blue: 1/8 oz Locked-In Blue + 1 oz Vivids Clear
Formula 4—Custom Locked-In Lilac: 1/8 oz Locked-In Purple + 1 oz Vivids Clear
Formula 5—Custom Locked-In Orange: 1 part Locked-In Red + 2 parts Locked-In Yellow
Formula 6—Custom Locked-In Seafoam Green: 2 parts Locked-In Teal + 1 part Locked-In Yellow, 1 part Vivids Clear
1. Use Formula 1 to pre-lighten hair. Process for about 55 minutes, or until you achieve a level 10. Shampoo and rinse.
2. Section hair from the natural part to the crown, then down behind the ears. Beginning in the nape and working up the head, take 1-inch sections and apply the formulas from 1 inch off the scalp to the ends. Vary the five Locked-In formulas in a freeform fashion.
3. As you work toward the sides to behind the ears, take narrower vertical subsections, and apply varying formulas as before.
4. Above the ear, continue working up the sides to the top, taking small, 1-inch strands and apply varying shades as before. Lay down sections lightly to avoid unwanted color transfer.
5. Process 20-30 minutes at room temperature. Rinse with cool water, then shampoo lightly, rinsing until the water runs clear. Finish with conditioner.
Color: Danny Moon
Styling: Lara Kay
Makeup: Karen Sarahi
Fashion Styling: Caisa Airmet
Photography: Josh McCaghren