“What I Live For”
To mark June as National Safety Month, the National Safety Council (NSC) is celebrating people’s passions that give them a good reason to stay safe. The NSC’s 2015 theme, “What I Live For,” encourages you to share your stories on social media by tagging #ilivefor. You may be thinking about your passion for your work, your clients or your family. We’d love it if you also tagged #healthyhairdresser!
“No matter what your passion is,” the NSC states, “we engage in safe behaviors so we can live for what matters to us.” Posters, tip sheets, safety checklists and an infographic are available on the website to help promote and celebrate safety in the workplace.
This year, the NSC is placing special emphasis on areas that are meaningful to salons:
- prescription painkiller abuse
- transportation safety
- emergency preparedness
- slips, trips and falls
To avoid common everyday but serious injuries, NSC advises:
- Don’t speed.
- Wear your seat belt.
- Designate a non-drinking driver.
- Don’t use cell phones when driving.
- Wipe up spills and tuck away cords.
- Install handrails and no-slip bath mats.
- Never share or take more prescription drugs than necessary.