Half Knot How-To
Kate Mara rocks the look at the Humane Society of the United States 60th Anniversary Benefit Gala in March 2014.Photo By Gregg DeGuire/Getty Images Photo 1 of 5
The half knot is a hairstyle with an identity crisis. Not quite bun, not really pony tail, this man-bun inspired ’do has quickly risen to fame, taking over Instagram accounts and red carpet runways.
Want to test this trend but also avoid looking like half of your hair escaped what was supposed to be a full top-knot? Follow the below tips from Alterna Haircare Creative Team Stylist Nate Rosenkranz. You’ll leave the mirror selfie-ready.
HALF KNOT HOW-TO:
1. Start by cleansing and conditioning with Alterna Caviar Replenishing Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner.
2. Towel dry hair and add Alterna Caviar CC Cream 10 in 1 Complete Correction and rough dry or diffuse to enhance natural texture.
3. When finished drying, add a little more Alterna Caviar CC Cream 10 in 1 Complete Correction to separate and define the hair. For added "lived in" look use Alterna Caviar Perfect Texture Spray.
4. Now for the knot! Using a tail comb, section from ear to ear around the back of the crown and gather the hair into a ponytail. Next, using a hair tie, wrap the hair tie around the pony tail twice.
5. For the last tie, loop the pony tail back on itself and tie the hair tie around it creating a loop. Leave the excess of the pony tail flat against the head.
6. Finish with a bit of Alterna Caviar Working Hairspray to keep everything in place.