How to Apply Products before Blowdrying
Most salon hair services end with a blowdry, and every stylist knows that product is essential both for styling and for heat protection. But stylists should also know that the WAY products are applied can make a difference in how well they perform.
Sam Villa, founding partner of Sam Villa, education artistic director for Redken 5th Avenue, and Stylist Choice Award winner for Favorite Overall Educator of the Year 2015, says product is not a choice, it’s a necessity to protect hair.
“Without protection, heat from blow dryers and irons would wreak havoc on hair, resulting in depleted moisture, proteins and breakage,” Villa says. “It’s not only important to use heat protectant products, but there is an optimal way to apply the products to enhance protection and styling benefits.”
Using Sam Villa Dry Sectioning Clips to section hair while applying product in tiers results in the product layering together to achieve maximum results. Primers like Redken pillow proof blow dry express treatment primer cream reduce drying time, protect from heat up to 450 degrees, reduce breakage and provide 24-hour lasting volume without weighing hair down.
Styling product of choice is determined by the amount of control or hold factor desired. Villa chose Redken satinwear 02 prepping blow-dry lotion to reduce friction and breakage (also protects from heat up to 450 degrees). It’s layered for a fast easy blow out with silky smooth results.
1. Slice a casual section at the nape area just below the occipital and secure with a dry sectioning clip – no need to be precise.
2. Dispense Redken Pillow Proof Blow Dry Express Treatment Primer Cream into hands and emulsify as if applying lotion, so product is in-between fingers and on the back of hands.
3. Approach the nape section by folding hands into the section ensuring to make contact with the hair in-between fingers.
4. Move to the area above the occipital and divide into two sections, applying product to the lower top section first.
1. Dispense Redken Satinwear 02 into hands and emulsify as if applying lotion, distributing product in-between fingers and on the back of hands.
2. Approach the nape and top sections together to layer Redken Satinwear 02 with Pillow Proof Blow Dry Express Treatment Primer Cream.