6 Tips To Share With Your Client On HOW TO Avoid Hair Loss
As we in the professional salon world know, stress to hereditary issues to styling damage can prevent our clients from reaching great lengths and gorgeous locks.
“On average, we lose 50-100 hairs day,” says dermatologist Rebecca Kazin, MD, FAAD. “This is all normal and part of the natural growth cycle. However, when hair loss becomes more noticeable, it may be time to seek professional help to determine the underlying causes.”
According to Dr. Kazin, the good news is that there's often a way to limit shedding with small modifications to your daily care routine.
Share these tips from Dr. Kazin with your clients to help them achieve a fuller, more beautiful mane:
- Use a natural bristle brush. Plastic or artificial brushes can be aggressive with your hair and scalp. A natural brush will help limit damage.
- Switch your hair dryer to a cooler setting. Heat is extremely damaging to hair. It might take longer to dry and style your hair but it will prevent harm.
- Never skip the conditioning step. Conditioners help restore the natural oils that are removed from the hair and scalp during the washing process. A nourishing conditioner will help soften and strengthen your hair. Use protein based formulas, and stay away from sulfates.
- Avoid wearing hair in a tight ponytail. The pressure can weaken hair and result in hair loss.
- Splurge for the salon and don’t color your own hair. Many home color kits contain harsh chemicals that alter the stability of the hair and weaken its integrity.
- Consider adding leafy vegetables and eggs to your diet. It’s been shown that diets rich in calcium and iron can help reduce or prevent hair loss. Be sure to also include proteins in your diet because hair is rich in protein.
If excessive hair loss persists, Dr. Kazin recommends seeing a hair loss specialist to understand the underlying cause.