Live The Blonde Life: Riawna Capri Takes Hilary Duff Icy Blonde With Joico Blonde Life
Riawna Capri gave Hilary Duff an icy blonde color with babylights using Joico's Blonde Life line.Photo 1 of 8
Hilary Duff before her color service.Photo 2 of 8
Hilary Duff's new icy blonde color.Photo 3 of 8
Expert Tip: Capri applied Joico's reparative Blonde Life Brightening Masque on the light ends of the hair to protect them during the color service.Photo 4 of 8
Capri used Blonde Life Lightener + 20 Volume LumiShine Developer (mixed 1:1) at the back of the head, then moved to the front of the occipital and highlighted with Blonde Life Lightener + 30 Volume LumiShine Developer (mixed 1:1).Photo 5 of 8
Joico Blonde Life Brightening ShampooPhoto 6 of 8
Joico Blonde Life Brightening ConditionerPhoto 7 of 8
Joico Blonde Life Brightening MasquePhoto 8 of 8
Hillary Duff recently paid a visit to Riawna Capri's West Hollywood salon, Nine Zero One, to get a color makeover for spring. That, of course, means going lighter and brighter. From six-inches of grown-out brown roots to what Duff described as "sunny and bold," her Capri ensured that her color was both beautiful and healthy by using Joico's Blonde Life line. The collection includes a quick and safe Lightener, Brightening Shampoo, Conditioner and Masque, which Capri used during the service to get the right lift without damage, and sent home with Duff afterwards to maintain the color.
Here, Capri responded to questions on how she achieved the look and what it was like spending the day with the actress.
Q: Why take the plunge?
"After a long hiatus from filming, Hilary was ready for a change—something bright, beige, and cool that knocked the grow-out out of the park. We got there with Blonde Life Lightening Powder, plus toner from Joico's LumiShine color line. It was a big change for her, but she loved it."
Q: Was it hard to keep this busy star in the chair for so long?
"The new Blonde Life System is so lightning-fast—nine levels of lift with no damage."
Q: How did you sell Hilary on the new products?
"Didn't have to. Hilary loves the shampoo! After washing her hair with it once, she said her hair felt conditioned even before using any conditioner."
Q: What about maintenance?
"The secret trick is using the at-home products that are the cornerstone of the system. Joico's Blonde Life Brightening Shampoo, Conditioner, and Masque are going to keep Hilary's hair bright and light—not dull and dingy—all the way to her next appointment. The formulas fight brassiness and maintain tone without any violet ingredients."
Q: Secret tricks?
"I'm always extra-careful when foiling. In Hilary's case, I applied Joico's reparative Blonde Life Brightening Masque on the light ends of the hair to protect them during the color service."
GET THE LOOK:
Starting level is between a 5-6. Use full foil highlights and babylights with alternating developer.
1. Start with Blonde Life Lightener + 20 Volume LumiShine Developer (mixed 1:1) in the back of the head, then move to the front of the occipital and highlight with Blonde Life Lightener + 30 Volume LumiShine Developer (mixed 1:1).
2. Check your foils for a light pale blonde at 30 minutes then every 5 minutes until desired shade is reached.
3. After the full head has highlights, choose some random ends of the hair that are left out of the foils, paint with Blonde Life Lightener + 10 Volume LumiShine Developer.
4. For the remaining ends, apply Blonde Life Masque treatment. Leave on for 10 minutes.
5. Remove foils, rinse, and shampoo with Blonde Life Shampoo.
6. Tone the hair with LumiShine Liquid Demi Permanent Gloss 9NV + 5 Volume LumiShine Developer from scalp to ends-process for 10 minutes.
7. Rinse, and shampoo with Blonde Life Shampoo, and finish with the Blonde Life Masque for 5 minutes.