Redken Sunset Hue Color How-To
Redken's City Beats give this look its vibrant hue.
FORMULA AND APPLICATION:
Natural level 7 medium blonde with existing highlights
Formula 1: Redken Shades EQ Cream, 2 oz 06C + 4 ml pH-Bonder #1 Bond Protecting Additive with 2 oz 10-volume Pro-oxide Cream Developer
Formula 2: 2 oz 06C with 2 oz 10-volume Pro-oxide Cream Developer
Formula 3: 1 scoop Flash Lift Maximum Power Lightening Powder + 4 ml pH-Bonder #1 Bond Protecting Additive with 1 oz 30-volume Pro-oxide Cream Developer
Formula 4: City Beats, West Village Sunset
Formula 5: Midtown Magenta
Formula 6: East Village Violet
Formula 7: Chelsea Coral
Formula 8: City Ballet Pink
1. Working in the fringe area, create a triangular-shaped section. On either side, make a part that extends from the outside corner of the temples to the high point of the head. Secure with clip.
2. Start with the remaining hair outside of the triangle. Apply Formula 1 to Zone 1 (the scalp area), using a global application. Immediately apply Formula 2 through Zone 2 (the midlengths and ends), saturating through to the ends.
3. Move to the triangular section. Starting on left side, take ¼-inch radial slices and apply Formula 1 to Zone 1, blending down into Zone 2. Then immediately apply Formula 3 from Zone 2 and saturate through to the ends. Cover with foil.
4. Continue to drop down slices, as you repeat the application procedure. To create depth, alternate Formulas 1 and 2 in-between the foils. Work toward the right until the triangular area is completed. Process 35 minutes, shampoo and dry.
5. To prepare for the sunset shades, isolate the prelightened triangle and secure the remaining hair. Working within the triangular section, take ¼- to ½-inch radial slices from the highpoint of head to hairline. Vary the width of each slice and over-direct the slices, as you place them on foil.
6. Starting on left, use the horizontal/flat edge of the Redken Edging Brush, and apply Formula 4 from Zone 2. Saturate through ends.
7. Apply Formula 5, so as to saturate the side edge of the section by using the vertical edge of the brush. Cover with foil.
8. Drop down another slice. Use the same method but this time, edge the section with Formula 6 and secure in foil.
9. Continue dropping down slices and placing them on foils, as you work from left to right. Now, alternate Formulas 6-8 as you work. When the triangular section is completed, process for 20 minutes, or for maximum impact, 30 minutes. Shampoo and condition.
Color: Lori Zabel
Style: George Northwood
Photographer: Peter Lueders
Makeup: Karan Franjola