NYFW Spring/Summer 2018: Olivia Garden and Mizani at Michael Costello
Get the Look: Crown Braid with Soft Waves
- Prep hair with Mizani’s Lived-In Texture Creation Cream. Apply a nickel to quarter-sized amount of the product, drying specifically into the roots to create some volume, and add grit to the hair for braiding.
- Create a clean center part using Olivia Garden CarboSilk Technical & Chemical Comb.
- Off of the center part, create a triangle section of hair on both sides – the front of the part is the first point, the second point being behind the ear, and the third point being at the highest point of the head. Section away using Olivia Garden Double Clip.
- On each side/each triangle, begin braiding (inverted braid) taking each section diagonal forward. Secure each strand with an elastic.
- Use hands to slightly loosen braids before joining the braids in the back to create a crown braid (making sure to conceal the elastics). Use U-pins to secure.
- On the rest of the hair that is left out, take a flat iron in an S-wave pattern to create loose waves.
- Once the whole head is ironed, apply Mizani Lived-In Finishing Spray for texture and dimension.
Get the Look: Textured Bun
- Section hair from ear to ear horizontally (split from front to back) to divide head into two sections, top and bottom. Create two high ponytails.
- Take the top, front section and smooth into a high pony. Spray Mizani HRM into Olivia Garden Ceramic + Ion Supreme Paddle Brush to help smooth hair back. Secure with an elastic cord.
- Take the back section and also smooth into a high pony, positioned just below the first ponytail from the top section. Secure with an elastic cord.
- Spray Lived-In Finishing Spray into the ponytails to build texture.
- Subsection the ponytails and softly tease with Olivia Garden Style-Up Teasing Brush each section from roots to end. Go over each section very lightly with a flat iron to flatten it out a bit, creating “panels.”
- Spritz Mizani HRM to create a workable hold and wrap each panel around clockwise, creating a soft twisted bun. Continue to layer the panels in this fashion and use U-pins to secure [those panels] in place.
- Spray Mizani HRM on a small makeup brush to help tame flyaways.