“Stylists Against Skin Cancer” Classes in Session at ISSE
Beauty professionals attending the 2018 International Salon and Spa Expo (ISSE) this weekend in Long Beach, California, will be able to take training offered in the Stylists Against Skin Cancer Program presented by the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS). Set for January 27-29, ISSE will showcase its largest lineup of class options in the show’s 19-year history.
“By detecting growths suspicious for skin cancer and making appropriate referrals to dermatologists early, hair professionals can help to prevent the progression of dangerous skin cancers,” says Dr. Ramona Behshad, who will be leading the sessions. “With this training, stylists will be able to provide their clients with valuable information that they can then share with a dermatologist and potentially save a life.” Participants in the sessions will learn:
- Warning signs of the most common scalp skin cancers.
- Basic ways to look for scalp skin cancer.
- When and how to refer clients to a dermatologist.
- How to approach clients about skin abnormalities in a way that promotes positive attitudes toward visiting the doctor with any concerns.
- Effective preventive measures for skin cancers, including patient education resources.
One session will be conducted each of the three days of the show. Videos, print and electronic educational materials can be found at asds.net/SHADE.