NYFW: What To Bring When Working Behind the Scenes
Prepping for NYFW with the Ted Gibson Academy.Photo 1 of 6
A look from Elier AubrtPhoto 2 of 6
A look from Elier AubrtPhoto 3 of 6
A look from Angel BrinksPhoto 4 of 6
A look from Angel BrinksPhoto 5 of 6
A look from Angel BrinksPhoto 6 of 6
Ted Gibson and Jason Backe have created a fashion week focused academy where attendees learn the behind the scenes secrets of fashion show hair. Attendees then actually DO hair for the shows, under the leadership of Gibson, Backe and the Ted Gibson Artistic team.
MODERN stopped by this past season of NYFW to see the class in action, and then snuck in backstage to see some of the looks before the models hit the runway. The 24 artists who took the class told MODERN that this event was quite special. From most we heard “This has been the highlight of my professional career.”
MODERN grabbed Backe once the shows wrapped to get some insight from him on what every artist should bring to work at a fashion show, if given the opportunity. Check out his list, and for more elaboration - and more tips - watch the video (and check out his impressive focus while he dodges the traffic at Pier 59 where many of the shows were held):
Items to bring to a show:
- At least one power strip.
- All sizes of marcel irons.
- Small, medium and large boar bristle or mixed nylon and boar.
- Bronze, blond, brown and black hairpins and bobby pins.
- Water, energy drinks and snacks.
- Packs of wefted hair - 100% human, 18 - 20 inches; blond, brunette and auburn or copper.
- Weft Glue - white and black.
- Comfy shoes for back stage - good shoes for the venue.
- An extra phone charger/mophie.
- Beauty light for your phone for good pics of your work.
- A press release to let your local media know you will be there.
- A "get the look" list of step by step instructions so your fans and followers can duplicate your work at the salon or home,
“We will be looking to build a top tier team for next season,” says Backe. “If you are interested in participating, send a photo of your cosmetology license, a letter of recommendation from a mentor or employer, and a link to your online portfolio or Instagram account to [email protected].” The next NYFW will be held September 6- 14, 2018.