How-To: Café Au Lait Balayage
Warm but not brassy. Cool but not ashy. That’s the beauty of this Café Au Lait brunette balayage by L’Oréal Professionnel Artist Min Kim.Photo 1 of 7
BeforePhoto 2 of 7
Min refreshed regrowth and also balanced previously-applied chunky highlights with lowlights, using several L’Oréal Professionnel signature balayage techniques.Photo 3 of 7
Keep lowlights away from the face to prevent a too-dark face-frame.Photo 4 of 7
Place a bright “money piece” around the face to enhance the complexion.Photo 5 of 7
Use clear plastic to protect the color application.Photo 6 of 7
Café Au Lait.Photo 7 of 7
“Brunette balayage is one of my most requested services,” says L’Oréal Professionnel Artist Min Kim. “When executed properly, it enhances a variety of skin tones and gives brunettes the option to maintain their color as often or infrequently as possible.”
Here, Min’s client showed up with grown-out, chunky, Level 8 highlights everywhere but the crown, with breakage throughout zones 2 and 3. Min’s goal was to rebalance the color by adding depth to the previously-lightened hair with softer tone-on-tone pieces, using her favorite warm-but-not-brassy shade of L’Oréal Professionnel DIA Richesse 6.32. And here’s a hot tip from Min: “Avoid adding lowlighting around the face and throughout the ends (zone 3) for a more natural, sun kissed effect.”
Here’s how Min created this not-too warm, not-too ashy, just right Café Au Lait brunette balayage.
- Create three sections—back, left and right--and secure with clips.
- Starting in the nape, alternate Formula 1 and Formula 2, utilizing Formula 1 to refresh regrowth using double point balayage application.
- Apply Formula 2 in single point balayage pieces starting in the mid-lengths and moving through the ends to create more depth.
- Continue working upward in horizontal subsections at the front of head.
- Complete the application using triple point balayage to create the “money piece” in front, incorporating the hair from the front hairline and part.
- Process to desired level, rinse thoroughly, do not shampoo.
- Apply Smartbond Step 2. Process for 10 minutes.
Removal and Rinsing:
- Wet, emulsify, rinse and shampoo once with L’Oréal Professionnel A-OX Vitamino Color Shampoo.
- Condition and preserve radiance with a Serie Expert Powermix Repair in-salon treatment.
Discover more tips and how-tos from the balayage leaders at L’Oréal Professionnel.
Check out classes on the French Balayage technique at the L’Oréal Professionnel academies on the East and West Coasts at www.lpregister.com/balayage.