Dyson Launches the Dyson Airwrap Styler
Following the Dyson Supersonic hair dryer, the company has unveiled its second piece of beauty technology: the Dyson Airwrap styler, which uses jets of air to allow you to achieve voluminous curls, natural waves and smooth blow-dry finishes.
Dyson launched the professional version of its hair dryer back in April. This new launch is aimed toward consumers, but celebrity stylist Jen Atkin and about 20 other stylists were asked to test it. According to an article in the New York Times, Atkin was often observed by engineers who recorded her using the styler.
Dyson teams researched current styling technologies and identified what they felt to be areas for improvement: tangled hair, temperature damage, size, or weak and unruly airflow.
Dyson’s team of engineers and hair scientists spent more than six years testing and researching different hair types and styling habits. They identified two key desires and challenges when it comes to styling:
- People desire body, fullness and movement. They want to avoid flat hair with little body.
- Others desire smoothness without losing volume. They tend to suffer from frizz and too much body which makes styling difficult.
The Dyson digital motor V9 powers the Dyson Airwrap styler. Partnered with Dyson’s styling barrels, this motor enables the Dyson Airwrap styler to style with air, without the need for extreme heat.
The motor spins to create an area of high pressure at the top of the styling barrel. A high velocity jet of air disperses out of six air slots around the barrel. To achieve a sleek blow dry finish, the brushes align hair when styling, helping to provide a smooth shiny finish when dry.
In order to keep the airflow focused in the desired styling direction, engineers incorporated a switching mechanism. This directs airflow according to the tension in the brush. No matter which way you brush through hair strands, the air flows in the direction of the hair.
Styling Wet to Dry
The Dyson Airwrap styler styles wet to dry. Hydrogen bonds line each strand of hair. When hair is wet this breaks down the hydrogen bonds – resetting the natural style of your hair priming it for styling.
Like the Supersonic hair dryer, the Airwrap styler has intelligent heat control. A glass bead thermistor measures the temperature up to 40 times a second, transmitting temperature data to the microprocessor and regulating the products temperature. This helps ensure hair does not become exposed to extreme heat.
The Dyson Airwrap styler comes in three different variants with specific attachments, designed with different hair types and desired looks in mind.
- Pre-styling dryer: Prepares hair for styling using a fast but diffused airflow. Engineered for all hair types, it’s designed to dry hair to the ideal moisture level (damp to touch) before using the curling barrels.
- Soft smoothing brush: Engineered to add body and volume to fine, flat hair while creating a smooth, blow dry finish. Ball-tipped bristles allow for increased tension to help keep hair aligned to the brush.
- 1.6 inch Airwrap barrel: To create loose curls or waves for thicker, coarser hair that has some shape.
- 1.2 inch Airwrap barrel: To create voluminous curls or waves for most hair types. Achieve voluminous curls for those with flat, finer or straighter hair. Get tighter curls for those with thicker, coarser hair with some shape.
- Firm smoothing brush: To create a straighter style with less frizz. Engineered to tame and smooth thicker, coarser hair, with firm straight bristles to help create tension and reduce tangling.
- Round volumizing brush: To create volume and shape. Ideal for creating tension to shape finer, thinner and straighter hair.