In celebration of National Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15th—October 15th), Sam Villa, Co-founder and Chief Creative Officer of Sam Villa and Global Artistic Ambassador for Redken, has announced quarterly education taught in Spanish.
“In my role with the Cultural Intelligence Committee of Unite as One, I’m part of a collective of professionals committed to supporting diversity, equality and inclusion in the industry,” explains Villa. “And at Sam Villa, we’ve been diversifying our educational team, the content they present and how they present it, which includes supporting Spanish speaking stylists with access to education in their native tongue.”
Jorge Perez (@jorgedoeshair), Sam Villa Ambassador and owner of #HAIR BY JORGE (Puerto Rico), will be teaching his third Spanish class for the Sam Villa Company called “Pixie Perfecto.” Marisa Villa (@_marisavilla_), Sam Villa Ambassador, will return to do the honors of hosting and managing the live chats in Spanish. The class will be held on September 12 @ 8am PT | 11am ET on Facebook: @SamVillaPros.
Perez and Villa’s Tips for Working with Latin Hair:
1. Latin hair is multi-textured; there are different patterns of growth all living together on one head, so there has to be a strategy for cutting and styling.
2. It is heavy, so the shape must have medium to long layers to create bounce and tropical movement. Only texturize from mid to ends so it can have that lovely movement.
3. Define and/or personalize haircuts when fully dried and styled. Cutting outward or deep point cutting is best for releasing weight exactly where needed to create movement.
4. Styling: There are three finishes to look for - when wet hair is being blow dried, the water makes it look very shiny. When it starts to dry it becomes opaque or a bit dull, yet when it is fully dry it gets a low sheen and gets smoother and shiner as the cuticle is closed.
5. For those areas that need more volume, blow dry hair upside down. For medium control at the base, use Redken Guts 10 Volume Spray Foam and blow dry until 50% dry at the base. Pause, now add Redken Wax Blast 10 and continue to blow dry upside with a diffuser to enhance movement, volume and shine. Rotating the diffuser close to the base in each section until it is fully dry also helps to maximize volume and movement.
“Hispanic hair can be found in an array of hair types and textures—straight, wavy and curly—and we embrace and celebrate all fabrics of hair,” adds Villa.
To learn more from Sam Villa and Team, check out their FREE weekly Facebook Live classes and 10-minute YouTube tutorials.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.