Hair loss is emotional, and sorting through solutions can feel overwhelming. Because stylists are often the first expert to address the issue (because they spot the signs), it makes sense that they also be that trusted provider to offer an answer for their client's distress.
International Hairgoods, creators of Micro Point Solutions, specializes in products and services designed to address various hair loss issues. One of those is Micro Point Links, tiny extensions comprised of only several strands that are attached to existing hair strands. They are a non-surgical and minimally invasive solution to add volume and thickness to thinning hair. The extensions are virtually undetectable and can be customized to match a client's natural hair color and texture.
For clients, they are that subtle shift from sparse to filled-in that can make all the difference in how they feel. And for stylists, they are a service that--while requiring training and practice--can allow them to help clients suffering the first signs of hair loss, while also creating a profitable addition to their skillset.
In this interview, we speak with two experts and trainers with International Hairgoods, Jerry Holt and Jessica Catalde. They give us an understanding of the service, while also touching on consultations, pricing, and how to become educated in the technique.
Micro Point Solutions for thinning hair. (0:03)
- Micro Point Links for thinning hair are a strand-by-strand service, explained by Jerry Holt and Jessica Catalde.
- The service involves tying individual hairs from the client's existing hair to the scalp, creating a natural-looking fuller appearance.
- The ideal client is someone with a realistic expectation of a moderate amount of hair growth, who can easily manage and handle the results.
Hair loss consultations and styling. (4:03)
- The importance of asking the right questions during consultations to understand clients' concerns and expectations.
- Consultations can take an emotional path, with clients crying due to hair loss, and stylists needing to be empathetic and realistic in their recommendations.
- Consultation is extensively covered in training, with adaptations for each client's needs.
Micro Point hair extensions pricing and maintenance. (7:53)
- Highlighting the minimal maintenance required for micro point hair extensions, with the only additional step being occasional shampooing to reduce sebum oil buildup.
- The typical turnaround time for clients is 4-6 weeks, depending on their root growth and color maintenance needs.
- Stylists should charge based on personalized packages, not hourly rate.
Pricing and techniques for Micro Point Links hair extensions. (12:05)
- Stylists should determine their hourly rate based on cost of goods, time, and location.
- Seeking a stylist who can provide detailed, intricate services with high attention to detail.
- Micro Point Links offer a creative solution for stylists looking to diversify their services, with dedicated practice time required.
Hair training and partnership for stylists. (16:13)
MEET THE EXPERTS
Jerry Holt has been a trainer and stylist educator for International Hair goods for over five years. His unique experience and long tenure in the hair industry positions him to deliver ultimate, comprehensive technical direction, as well as a wealth of business and marketing knowledge. In his extensive career, Jerry Holt has developed from the inception two successful businesses in the Hair Loss Industry.
His first business was a 100% hair extension service driven offering all types of hair extensions for the “fashion” celebrity clients in Santa Barbara California. The demand for true hair loss or “need” clients grew so much that he had to change the entire business over to servicing only “need” clients with hair loss. This business grew quickly to over 400 active clients with just one employee.
Holt sold that business and re-located to Jupiter Island Florida where he built from inception another hair loss center. At this location he catered to “need” customers from the start who were experiencing medical hair loss, Alopecia hair loss, children medical hair loss and regular adult genetic hair loss for male and female clients. With both businesses Holt offered custom wigs, stock wigs, hair replacements and children’s wigs.
As a Hair Replacement trainer for International Hairgoods, Holt delves deeply into how to start a business, how to keep clients happy, and how to maximize revenues and profits. He’s happy to share his successes and failures so that students can learn from them. He translates his real-life experiences so his students can understand and execute what they need to become a successful Hair Loss Specialist. He says that it is not just learning about the art of hair replacement but how to be overall a success in your individual market area.
Jessica Catalde boasts an impressive 20 years of experience as a prominent hair replacement technician, expert, and educator. For the past 16 years, she has committed herself to specializing in hair loss prevention services, promoting healthy hair growth, and providing exceptional Hair Replacement and Micro Point Solutions services.
Catalde's journey began at an Aveda Concept Salon where she spent three formative years discovering her passion for various aspects of the hair industry. This experience fueled her passion for exploring the many options she could learn and master for ultimate client transformations and delight. During this time, Catalde had a friend who was battling brain cancer. Witnessing her friend’s struggle with hair loss due to surgery scarring, she embarked on a mission to provide her with hair for her wedding day. The success of this endeavor ignited her interest in hair replacement and drove Catalde to explore the hair replacement specialty.
She found her calling with Hair Club (an Aderans company and sister company of International Hairgoods). At Hair Club, Catalde fell in love with hair replacement and the profound impact it has on restoring confidence and happiness in people’s lives. Her expertise began with Preventative Care for thinning hair, and she subsequently transitioned into Full Hair Replacement.
Becoming a Hair Replacement Expert opened doors for her journey with Micro Point Solutions (volumizing extensions for the top of the head), adding another valuable skill and client option to her repertoire. Becoming a National Stylist Trainer with Hair Club and their 100+ studios, she was able to empower other hairdressers to explore and embrace the diverse opportunities available beyond traditional beauty school education.
Her primary focus has been on prioritizing the safety and well-being of clients wearing hairpieces as well as the education and training of hair stylists becoming Restorative Specialists. Her focus is a detail-oriented, individualized approach for both salon clients and the stylists she mentors, ensuring that every hair solution is tailored to suit their unique needs.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.