WHO THIS SESSION IS FOR:
ARTIST SESSION is for any licensed salon professional looking to learn HOW to do a photo shoot, how to maximize those photographs and most importantly, how to UP YOUR PROFILE via freelance work. While many who attend have done photo work before, this is a perfect session for the first time artist comfortable with his or her ability to style hair.
The two day session includes study in:
• How to find a model
• How to use social media to build your business
• How to become a freelance artist
• How to up your profile via public relations
• How to get the most out of a photo session
• How to work with the photographer and other professionals at a photo shoot
• What to expect at a photo session
• What to bring to a photo session
• How to work with a professional model
• How to deal with the various personalities at a studio
• Session terminology
$2,800 for the two-day session (Day 1 & Day 2)
$400 for Day 1 ONLY session
$450 observer/assistant fee for both days (with a registered attendee)
$1000 Nail Artist
WHO THIS SESSION IS NOT FOR:
This session is NOT right for anyone looking to learn how to do hair. ARTIST SESSION is for hairdressers comfortable in their styling skills looking to learn how to best express their talent on a professional model, with a professional make up artist all in a professional studio.
This session is NOT right for anyone looking to cut or color a model. The models working for ARTIST SESSION come for STYLE ONLY.
This season we are inviting Nail Artists to “join the party.” You will have the chance to attend the workshop and add your art to the finished look. Your finish will appear in Nails Magazine and MODERN SALON with your credit. $800 for the 2 day session. Maximum 4 manicurists.
NEW!!! NEW!!! NEW!!! - THE COLLECTION EDITION - March 10, NYC
We will be holding the "Collection Edition" on March 10, 2020 in NYC. This will be a one day event, open to just 5 artists who have already taken Artist Session. There will be 5 models for you to mix and match for a collection of 3 different looks to enter in competitions (like NAHA!) or to send out for publication. Models will be "style only" so great for texture, avant garde or style categories. $6000. (SOLD OUT!)
WHEN/WHERE IS THE NEXT SESSION?
Due to concerns about COVID-19 we are postponing the spring Artist Session. Stay tuned for summer dates. More importantly, stay well.
In NYC, the Meatpacking District
HOW MANY CAN ATTEND:
The full workshop is open to a maxiumum of 6 attendees. Day 1 ONLY is open to 25 attendees.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
Great speakers. This program “mixes it up” so we don’t release the names of our speakers before each session, however a few of past speakers have included:
• Oribe, industry superstar, on how to select a model and work with a photographer to get the best image possible.
• Dean Banowetz, famed stylist and founder of INSTYLER, on how to work with celebrities.
• Jayne Morehouse, public relations expert, offering advice on how to get published and recognized locally, nationally and internationally.
• Russell Haley, Hair and Makeup agent, on how to find an agent and how to prepare and organize a portfolio.
• Helen Oppenheim, editor of Spain's Peluquerias Magazine and former Creative Director for Vidal Sassoon Salons USA, on how to get published internationally and turn your photos into award winning images.
• Ted Gibson on how to use your visuals to make more money.
• Sam Villa, industry icon and founder of Sam Villa products, on mentoring and educating.the salon community.
• Kim Vo on how to become a media star.
• Kevin Ryan and Frank Rizzieri on how to become the "go to" artist for editorial and fashion work.
• Rod Novoa on how to select the perfect outfit to accent your hair style.
• Anamarie Rizzieri, celebrity make up artist, on breaking in to the business and behind the scenes secrets.
• David Lopez on how to “break into the business” of session work.
• Sacha Quarles on doing hair for film.
• Luis Alvarez on the importance of photo presentation
Day 2 - SHOOT DAY - is when artists, models and photography all come together. You bring your expertise, we provide the following:
• Professional make up
• Professional fashion styling
• Breakfast and Lunch
NYC in a studio TBD.
9 – 9:30: Attendees arrive to light snacks and coffee/tea.
9:30: program begins. Modern Salon Media Beauty and Fashion Director Maggie Mulhern offers introductions and overview.
10:00 Photographer Roberto Ligresti speaks about working with photographers, angles and photo studio etiquette.
10:30: Make up artist David Maderich speaks about life as a free lancer and working with other studio professionals.
11 – 11:30: Model casting overview. Maggie, Roberto and David demonstrate how to conduct a casting, including how to find models and what to look for in the right model for YOUR shoot.
11:30 – 1: Model casting. Models from various NY agencies arrive to the studio for your selection.
1 – 2:30: Lunch on your own. At this time Maggie and Roberto will arrange for your model selections and re-configure the room.
2:30 – 5: Program resumes with guest speakers. Day ends with the presenting of the Modern Salon Media Goody Bag.
Location: A larger photo studio not too far from Day One location. (We mix up the studios, so name and address announced closer to the date of the session.)
9 – 9:30: Attendees arrive, select space and set up.
9:30: models arrive and YOUR shoot begins.
4:30: Wrap up and leave the studio. Some artists will have finished earlier in the day, but are invited to
stay and observe others at work or on set.
WHAT TO BRING:
Please make sure to bring paper and pen. There will be hand-outs but we have learned that several attendees like to take notes. While video cameras are not allowed for the presentations, you may want to have a camera or video handy to capture any surprise visitors. Please do NOT bring products and tools. You will not be doing any hair on day one.
Definitely bring a still and video camera. You will want to record this special day. This is the day to bring all of your favorite products and tools. While you will be given a goody bag filled with wonderful, hand selected appliances, you may still want to have your favorite items handy.
WHAT TO WEAR:
Be comfortable. True session artists dress to be standing long hours or work on set.
WHERE THE IMAGES WILL APPEAR:
Modern Salon Media is underwriting the costs of the session and has first access to the finishes.
Once published, you may offer the images up for your local or international publications. Covered in day one will be how to write a press release and how to contact other media outlets.
The photos taken at ARTIST SESSION are for editorial purposes only. In other words, these pictures are for magazine editorial pages. These may not be sold or used in any kind of advertising or advertorial materials. The models, make up artists and fashionstylists booked for the session sign releases for editorial content ONLY. Attendees will be held responsible for the sums incurred if the images appear in any other capacity other than editorial use. Likenesses of the images or of the models may not be used in videos to be sold on websites. All of this will be reiterated and explained on day one of the session.
Cancellations received before October 1, 2019 will receive a full refund. Cancellations received after October 1, 2019 will receive a full refund minus $500.
Refunds will be credited back to the original credit card used for payment.
Cancellations will be accepted via phone or e-mail, and must be received by the stated cancellation deadline.
If you have any questions, please contact:
Maggie Mulhern // Maggie.Mulhern@bobit.com