Announcing the Braids & Brides Top 5 Finalists!
FINALIST: Detra Smith
2. Divide hair into four sections: two sides, a circular crown, & a nape.
3. Create a ponytail with crown section. Braid into a three-strand braid, loosen the strands, & twist into a loose bun.
4. Braid front/side into a three-strand braid & loosen.
5. Braid nape section into a three-strand braid & loosen. Twist into a pleasant shape off-center & pin in place.
6. Take front/side braid toward the back & pin in place.
7. Braid remaining side section into a three-strand braid & loosen. Take to back, place wherever it looks best & pin.
MODERN launched our Braids & Brides competition in January to promote special-occasion artistry and name one of YOU as the newest member of our exclusive 2017 Artist Collective (which includes @mustafaaavci, @blohaute, @heidimariegarrett and @annette_updo_artist).
After narrowing thousands of Braids & Brides submissions to our 10 semifinalists, the 10 talented stylists were tasked with creating a braided style. Our Artist Collective judges picked their five favorites!
The five finalists not only earn major bragging rights, but they also receive our sponsor challenge box packed with top-notch products and tools from some of our favorites—Pink Pewter, GKhair, HairUWear Professional and Amika. These pro beauty brands pulled out all the stops to give this group with the goodies to help up their special-occasion business and create flawless, voluminous finishes.
The finalists have ONE MORE challenge before one of them is named the grand-prize winner—MODERN is asking them to create their best bridal updos, and they have to use at least ONE product or tool from the Challenge Box we're sending their way.
Take a look above to view all the semifinalists' submissions, see who the finalists are, and stay tuned as our top five submit their best bridal work for a chance at the grand prize. On March 6, public voting opens, and you'll decide who our big winner is!