After years in the bridal industry, Caralee Pridemore, Sam Villa Ambassador and Founder of Sweetly Pinned @caraleestyles, has heard many nervous brides ask all the same questions, so she saw it as an opportunity to educate. She created a bridal menu - Hair Guidance for the Modern Bride, outlining important information about hair texture, length, color and style. It includes a look book featuring a selection of styles on multiple hair types to help clarify what a bride wants and what can actually be crafted for them.
The menu also applies to other wedding day VIP’s, “I get a lot of questions from the mother of the bride/groom too, this menu helps them visualize how various styles could look on them, so the decision process runs more smoothly,” explains Pridemore.
The guide gives clear direction on preparing for and scheduling trial runs and the wedding day:
- Schedule 3-4 months before wedding day.
- Come with clean dry hair.
- Wear a black or white shirt for photos.
- Bring 2 down and 2 up style images of desired looks – please refer to @caraleestyles for inspiration.
- Bring hair accessories and veil. If using live florals, direction will be given at the trial on how the florist should attach combs or pins.
- Extensions are an additional charge (see extension section).
Day of Wedding
- Come with clean dry hair. If you prefer to wash hair, use a volumizing shampoo and a pea size portion of conditioner only on the ends. Do not use anything with softening agents (leave-in conditioners) it will weigh hair down. Applying a volumizing mousse all over damp hair after shampooing will help create grip and hold curl longer.
- Wear a black or white shirt for photos.
- Bring hair accessories.
- All brides receive a complimentary touchup Style Kit - additional kits are available for bridesmaids/moms for $15.00.
It also provides insight into the time it takes for various looks and types of texture to consider:
Glam Waves Vs. Down and Curled
Glam Waves - Look like an “S” shape, think Marilyn Monroe or Rachel McAdams in The Notebook. They’re created by using the same curl pattern all over the entire head and are typically “set,” meaning the curls have to completely cool, which adds time. Time: 60-90 minutes
Down and Curled - Achieved by curling hair with an iron or wand. Varying types of curl patterns and textures can be achieved. Time: 45-60 minutes
Clean Texture – Beautiful distinct, yet soft and subtle ridges in hair for a polished romantic look.
Undone Texture – Organic and boho, a coiffed style that’s that perfect amount of undone to make it look effortless and cool.
In addition, there is a comprehensive section on extensions (Clip-in, Headband, Natural Beaded Rows/Sew-Ins and Tape-Ins), as well as other additional add-ons to make the style “picture perfect,” such as layered face framing pieces and highlight and/or lowlights to add contrast and depth.
“If you do a lot of bridal hair, a menu will make your life so much easier, and if you’re just starting out in bridal, it’s a great communication tool to help clarify the vision and meet expectations,” explains Pridemore.
Tune in weekly to learn more valuable information from Sam Villa and team here. Including “Mannequin Mondays,” “Transformation Tuesdays,” and “Wellness Wednesdays” on Facebook @SamVillaPros and YouTube @SamVillaHair.
About Sam Villa: Sam Villa is Co-founder and Chief Creative Officer of the Sam Villa Company (Allvus, LLC), a leading education and styling tool company for the professional hair industry. He is also Global Artistic Ambassador for Redken 5th Avenue, a L’Oreal brand. Villa is the 2021 NAHA Educator of the Year, Hair Awards USA Hall of Fame Inductee, 2021 AHP Icon Stylist Influencer of the Year, 2020 International Hairdressing Awards ‘International Hair Influencer of the Year,’ the 2017 NAHA Lifetime Achievement Award Winner, Intercoiffure America/Canada Member, Behind the Chair Stylist Choice Award Winner for Favorite Platform Artist and Educator (2012, 2011 and 2007) and Favorite Overall Educator of the Year (2015). His inspiring education and innovative ergonomic styling tools can be experienced on samvilla.com. The Sam Villa brand brings free digital education to everyone including hot tips and techniques, as well as access to livestreamed educational events. The company also offers professional tools for consumers so they can achieve salon-quality results at home with minimum effort.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.
Originally posted on Salon Today