Big change 🌟💇🏻♀️🥰 My client Dawn and I have been talking about taking her to her natural color for about a year now 😳 and we finally took the leap 😜Dawn is naturally 100% white in top and salt and pepper through the underneath. Keeping the integrity of the hair is #1 to me! This was an 8 hour process of love and passion!! ❤️🙏🏼 I used #malibu CPR and lots of #olaplex to keep the hair nice and strong!!! We love the change! 🥰🥰🥰 what do you think?? #beforeandafter #silverhair #behindthechair #modernsalon #tigi @behindthechair_com @modernsalon @jackmartincolorist @hairvideodiary @hair.videos
Jacqueline Gilmour, a stylist and extension specialist based in Detroit, has been helping her clients embrace their natural grey or step into silver.
She shared this process on her Instagram feed:
- I started by shampooing the hair with Undo Goo by Malibu C.
- Towel dried the hair and applied CPR Color Pigment Remover by Malibu
- Put on a cap and under the dryer she went for 45 minutes
“This is going to shrink the color molecule and start to slip some of that color and build up out of the hair.”
- Rinse, rinse, rinse.
- Shampoo with Undo Goo 3 times.
- Another CPR and back under the dryer for another 45 mins
- Rinse, rinse, rinse. Shampoo, rinse three times and towel dry.
“I only get a couple levels of lift by using this but I feel like it really removes a lot of color build up so once you put your lightener on it lifts a lot faster and more evenly.”
- Section the hair into 4 quadrants.
- Start in the back at the nape taking very fine slices using TIGI True Light Lightener + 20 volume mixed with Oaplex is a must.
- Make sure lightener is applied thick and apply lightener from her color down.
“I did not put any lightener on her natural root. You want to leave that out and start the lightener on the previously colored hair.”
- Mix another bowl TIGI True Light Lightener + 10 volume and Olaplex.
“This lightener is for the previous blonde pieces in Dawn’s hair that only need to lift a couple levels. By using this low volume it will be enough to lift that blonde hair without causing breakage.
“When I get to the sides and top I bump my developer up to 30 volume. In the back and sides I weaved in a low light to match Dawn’s natural salt and pepper in the back. I used 7.1 and 10 volume by Kemon. I laid foils one on top of the other without folding. Every piece of hair except her natural root had either lightener or a low light in it.”
- Once the hair has processed, shampooed with TIGI Copyright Repair Shampoo.
- Towel dried the hair and toned with Redken Shades EQ 1 oz 10p--1/2 oz 9b-- 1/2 oz 9v-- 1 oz clear
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.