10 Consultation Questions You Need to Ask Every Client
If you haven't heard this a million times already, let us reiterate: consultations are a cornerstone of successful appointments and happy clients.
Whether your client is 20 or 60, new or a regular, it's imperative that you touch base with him or her and establish what he or she is looking for and how you're going to get there.
According to Sam Villa, founding partner of Sam Villa and Redken education artistic director, and Andrew Carruthers, director of education for Sam Villa, many guests have preconceived (and frequently false) notions about their hair having to be a reflection of their age.
"Having to wear hair a certain length at a certain age is an old wives tale!" Villa says. "Women often ask, 'When should I cut my hair short?' 'Should my hair be fuller?' Or say, 'I want to disguise my...' So whether a woman is in her 50s, 60s or 70s, the consultation should be no different than those with our younger guests."
Regardless of age, here are 10 questions you should be asking every client during a consultation:
- What type of job do you have?
- Do you do a lot of socializing?
- What are your morning hair rituals?
- How experienced are you at styling your own hair?
- Do you use tools and styling products?
- What do you like about your hair?
- What have you had done to your hair in the past that you liked?
- What have you had done to your hair in the past that you disliked?
- What do you want to achieve with your hair?
- Is maintaining your length a priority?
And ask yourself what restrictions you as a stylist have in cutting that guest's hair.
Listen carefully to what your client is saying and repeat back to them to make sure you've understood.
"It's about exploring who the guest really is along with their wants and needs," Carruthers says. "This is our chance to learn about complimenting their facial shape, features, hair texture and lifestyle. Let's take the number (age) out of the consultation and delve into finding out what the guest is all about."