Off-the-scalp highlighting is a hot commodity these days, agree beauty pros, and no one pulls off the look like Rachel Bilson. This perpetual California girl has inspired plenty of clients to clamor for the same color: a shimmering blonde on a rich chocolate base.
Marco Pelusi, a hair color authority and platform artist in West Hollywood, gave us the scoop on how to achieve Rachel’s sizzling look.
“Rachel's look is a gorgeous mix of Aloxxi Peach Bellini and Cioccolato Gelato,” says Pelusi, a member of the Aloxxi Artistic Team and owner of Marco Pelusi Hair Studio.
“The gorgeous blonde locks through the midlengths and ends of her hair are achieved with the fabulous Aloxxi Blue Lightener and Peach Bellini, while the rich chocolate base is our one and only exclusive Cioccolato Gelato.”
The look truly works beautifully on longer hair, specifically curly and/or wavy hair as well, adds Pelusi, who believes it’s worth taking the time to perfect your color technique: “The off-the-scalp highlight trend is all the craze right now.”
All Getty images.
Marco Pelusi’s Steps with the Aloxxi Colour System:
1. After application of Aloxxi Colour Prime, to achieve the highlights, foil through the hair, beginning each stroke at least 2 to 3 inches away from the scalp, through the midlengths and ends, utilizing Aloxxi Blue Lightener with 20 volume Aloxxi Blue developer.
2. In between the foils, as is necessary, apply 5NT (Cioccolato Gelato) with Aloxxi Tones developer (1 part 5NT to two parts developer) directly on the scalp, and extending at least 2 to 3 inches through the midlengths.
3. Upon completion of the application, be sure to sift through the entire scalp area, ensuring that Cioccolato Gelato has been applied properly and evenly on the scalp and extending 2 to 3 inches.
4. After the highlights have finished processing, rinse and apply Aloxxi Colour Lock.
5. Tone the highlighted areas with Aloxxi Tones Peach Bellini 9N and Aloxxi Tones developer (1 part 9N to two parts developer).
6. Finish by styling with Marco Collagen Color Guard Haircare.