#StylistLife: My Daily Routine with Sydney Lopez
#StylistLife: My Daily Routine with Sydney Lopez

In a new series, MODERN taps some of its favorite stylists to share a glimpse into their day-to-day. First up is Sydney Lopez: a stylist in Denton, TX, an educator, an Artist Connective member, and an ambassador for Goldwell specializing in blondes and brights. Come along for a day in her life.

6:00-6:30 a.m.: Time to wake up. And I don’t even have to set an alarm thanks to my nine-year-old. I get up and put my contacts in because I can’t see anything without them.

6:45 a.m.: I make my nine-year-old a big breakfast — he has a huge appetite. 

7:15 a.m.: My husband takes our nine-year-old to school, and I take our one-year-old on a walk around our neighborhood. We listen to several playlists that I’ve made — our current favorite is my high school playlist.

8 a.m.: I get ready for work and make my two smoothies, which I drink every day. As a hairstylist, I feel like it’s impossible to remember to feed myself, so every morning I drink one for breakfast and then take sips of the second one when mixing color, or while my client processes.

8:40 a.m.: I head to work. Luckily I only live 7 minutes away! When I get there I turn on the music (‘90s if I have my way) and then usually welcome my 9 a.m. client.

9 a.m.-6 p.m.: I’m busy with clients all day. Most days I see between five and seven. I don’t do any standalone haircuts (cuts with colors only), so that’s 5 to 7 colors a day. I used to take 11 to 14 people a day when I was doing more natural hair and cuts, but creative color is always a double process and takes so much more time.

While I never take a proper lunch break, the girls that I work with order Door Dash for each other to make sure that everyone eats. It’s usually cold by the time we actually get to it, but we just eat in the small moments when we step away from our chairs. I also drink lots of Diet Coke! I’m definitely addicted. And if a client or friend wants to win their way into my heart, all they need to do is bring me a large Diet Coke from Whataburger.

6:00 p.m. My workday finally ends and I head home. My new goal after 2020 was to be done around now, instead of 8 p.m. or later, so I at least have a couple of hours with the kids before bed. But, I only work three evenings a week; the other four days I work from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Yes, no days fully off as of now, but I actually prefer to work four half days than five full days because I miss my kids too much!

6:30 p.m.: I either have my husband’s cooking or DoorDash for dinner — sushi or pizza seem to be my weekly orders right now. Then I spend time with my kids until bedtime.

9:00 p.m.: After my kids are in bed, I work on Instagram until midnight. I back up photos, upload videos, edit videos, add voiceovers, post, reply to questions and comments, and keep track of my current contracts. Also, I text clients and respond to long overdue emails while I still have the energy. Newly added to my nighttime routine is posting on TikTok — what a fun platform! I’m loving it over there, but it’s so easy to get distracted by all the entertainment.

2 a.m.: I finally go to bed and get ready to do it all again tomorrow. Woohoo!

For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.

Read more about