As many of you know, Modern editor Laurel Smoke is getting married this November and Chicago-area stylists have been eager to prove their updo prowess on her tresses. Our first excursion for the bridal hair adventure was to Wicker Park's Ruby Room, where stylist Toni Scott worked (with a broken pinky -- there's some dedication!) to create an elegant and sophisticated updo, and then completed the look with smokey eyes, using shades of deep purples and charcoals. Here's a look at how she created the style and her must-have bridal tools, plus don't miss the detailed step-by-step below!
1. Toni started by sectioning hair and creating two ponytails to build off of as a base.
2. She then started curling strands from the two ponytails, alternating between a 1/2 inch and 1 inch curling iron.
3. Before wrapping each tendril, she sprayed Bumble and bumble Thickening Spritz to help it set. After releasing each curl, she pinned them loosely to cool.
4. After setting the whole head, she released the clipped pieces. She then began backcombing the strands, using Bumble and bumble Hair Powder to thicken and add texture. This also allows her to reduce the amount of backcombing, so the style is easier for the bride to remove later on. Toni also added in small braids throughout the style to break it up and add texture and interest.
6. Then, Toni began sculpting the hair, tucking and pinning the curls. She worked from the nape up and forward, filling in holes and building on the base of the hair.
7. To finish the front of the style, Toni added the sparkly headband Laurel brought. She then smoothed the rest, making it sleek and tying it together with the back. She finished by flatironing the side-swept fringe.
8. For hair trials, Toni uses Bumble and bumble Spray de Mode, a medium hold hairspray. For the day of the wedding, she ups the ante with a strong hold spray, Bumble and bumble Classic.
Wedding Updo #1, Ruby Room
Wedding Updo #2, Salon Coccole
Wedding Updo #3, Salon 1800
Wedding Updo #4, Avalon Salon
Wedding Updo #5, Michael Anthony Salons
Wedding Updo #6, Prink Salon