"The Mizani Aircut is a systematic approach to cutting textured hair," says Ashley Brown, Sam Villa Ambassador and Mizani Artist @ash_hairbarbie. "It focuses on the science, art, and technique of cutting textured hair which, in turn, allows your guest to style-shift from natural styles to smooth styles and everything in between.”
Using Sam Villa Classic Series Dry Cutting Shears, Brown applied the 5 glide techniques within the cutting method to create air pockets ("Air in the Hair") and softness on the ends. This allows the hair to be worn many different ways, while still maintaining a beautiful, cohesive shape.
Picked Natural Look
- Shampoo and condition with Mizani True Textures, and layer Mizani 25 Miracle Milk and 25 Miracle Cream on fully saturated hair before detangling with the Sam Villa Signature Series 9 Row Finishing Brush. Moisture is key to ensure that the "picked out" look remains hydrated.
- Once fully detangled, begin at the bottom and work up, taking horizontal subsections. Apply Mizani True Textures Curl Enhancing Lotion, layering with the Mizani Foam Wrap, and evenly distribute product using the 9 Row Brush, brushing through 1-2x to keep hair detangled and product distributed. Pro Tip: Moisture is essential. If hair begins to dry out, fully resaturate with a spray bottle prior to applying product.
- Use a blow dryer with deep bowl diffuser to diffuse and completely dry hair. Hair must be 100% dry to avoid frizz before "picking out" the style. Apply a generous amount of Mizani 25 Miracle Nourishing Oil to hands, and emulsify and scrunch it into hair, massaging at the root area and breaking up curls. Apply more oil and continue all over the head.
- Using your fingers and a wide-tooth comb, gently stretch hair from root to end without pulling fingers all the way through the ends to leave the ends intact.
- Start to build volume with the Sam Villa Signature Series 8 Piece Comb Set. Begin with the widest tooth comb to repeat the same process of gently stretching hair, using the wide tooth comb as a pick. Be as gentle as possible and graduate to smaller teeth for more volume. Depending on how tight the texture, the wide-tooth comb may be enough.
- Prep hair using Mizani Press Agent Shampoo and Conditioner, and detangle with Mizani 25 Miracle Milk. Then cocktail Mizani Press Agent Raincoat Cream and Serum for up to 450° heat protection.
- For the blowout, use a Sam Villa Light Professional Ionic Blow Dryer (with concentrator), dry sectioning clips, and the Signature Series Thermal Styling Brush.
Pro Tip: Beginners might want to prep hair with products the same way and use a Sam Villa Pro Results 3-in-1 Blow Dry Hot Brush to easily smooth out the cuticle on the first or second brush setting. Once smooth and dry, apply 1-2 pumps of the Mizani Press Agent Raincoat Serum, and then go back in with the blow dryer/concentrator and thermal styling brush to really seal the cuticle down and add additional body and movement.
“This cutting method, combined with the proper products and tools, makes the sky the limit for those with curls, coils, and waves!” says Brown, who will be demonstrating the cutting technique and how it can be used to add volume on “Mannequin Monday” on January 24 live on Facebook and YouTube. Tune in weekly to learn more valuable information from Sam Villa and team. Find “Mannequin Mondays,” “Transformation Tuesdays,” and “Wellness Wednesdays” on Facebook @SamVillaPros and YouTube @SamVillaHair. Quarterly “Show Must Go On” events can also be accessed on the same channels for FREE!
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.