The “new natural” is all about inclusivity and enhancing what makes us all unique. Long, medium, short…straight, wavy, curly, highly textured, coils…rough or smooth. This fall, we're pushing for a celebration of variety and a green light for creativity for both stylists and consumers alike. Here are two ways to embrace texture with your clients this upcoming fall season.
“Hair is filling up with big texture this fall, whether it’s polishing and defining natural hair or adding volume to straighter textures,” explains Teresa Romero (@_teresa_romero), Artistic Director for Sam Villa. “Deep wavers are popular now because they can create a variety of looks on all textures. Beautiful glam Hollywood waves or beach waves, depending on how you turn the waver and what finishing products you use.”
1. Start with clean dry hair at the nape. Subsection hair into 1.5-inch horizontal sections, spray with Redken Iron Shape 11 Thermal Holding Spray and brush through with a Sam Villa Artist Series Finishing Brush.
2. Place a Sam Villa Pro Results Single Deep Waver in a horizontal position one inch away from the scalp and open as far as it will go.
3. Gently place the hair into the iron and close softly for three to seven seconds, depending on hair texture and condition. Option: Turn waver vertically for a beach wave.
4. Open the iron, slide down the strand and repeat until the ends. Allow hair to cool.
5. Repeat each step on all horizontal sections.
6. Use fingers to separate hair for a more textured look or brush through for a glam old-Hollywood polish.
“I’m always of the mindset to celebrate individuality – to include all people and uplift and celebrate their hair in any way I can,” says Ashley Brown (@ash_hairbarbie), Sam Villa Ambassador and Mizani Artist.
2. After rinsing, cover hair with a plastic cap. Start in the nape with a horizontal section. Keep the rest of the hair in the plastic cap. Saturate the section with water and Mizani 25 Miracle Milk. Evenly distribute product with a Sam Villa Signature Series 9 Row Finishing Brush.
4. Scrunch product into hair. Gently separate curls for added definition.
5. Repeat steps 1- 4 with the remaining sections of hair.
6. Diffuse hair with a Sam Villa Light Professional Ionic Blow Dryer and Deep Bowl Diffuser on high heat and low airspeed. Try not to touch or disrupt the curls. Start with the head in an upright position and once curls are set, to add volume, finish diffusing by moving head forward, backward and side to side.
To learn more about Sam Villa professional tools, visit samvilla.com.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.