Monaé Everett (@monaeartistry) is a celebrity hair stylist, author, and public speaker with over 18 years of experience. Her work can be seen in media ranging from Harper's BAZAAR to Yahoo! and ESSENCE to Hair's How. She has worked with celebs including Tia Mowry, Danai Gurira, Emily Tosta and Nickelodeon starlets Lizzy Greene and Sofia Wylie.
This style created on Star Trek lead actress, Sonequa Martin-Greene features beautiful shape and control and Everett shares her steps for achieving the look.
- Achieving this look starts with a great haircut. I tapered the sides using a scissor over comb technique and leaving at least five inches of hair on the top of the head.
- To get this look I layered the Ouidad Advanced Climate Control Featherlight Styling Cream and the Advanced Climate Control Heat and Humidity Gel on top of damp hair.
- I used the Twist It Up comb and worked it in circular motions around the head to create shorter coils and to amplify the curls on the sides and back of the head and define the ringlets at the top of the head.
- I accentuated her naturally curly hair by twisting small sections around my finger to create small coils.
- After allowing the hair to dry I used the long pick to give the hair height. To finish the style I topped off the look with the IGK Speechless Dry Oil Finishing Spray.
Everett loves to educate and has launched "The Monae Life" online academy specifically for hairstylists, teaching how to style for editorials, celebrities, and styling for all hair textures. Driven by her love to make women look and feel amazing she recently released her first book, Stunning Braids. Monaé regularly uploads video tutorials to YouTube (www.YouTube.com/MonaeArtistry) (where she has almost 4 mil views).
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.