Janine Jarman, owner of the Hairroin Salon in Hollywood, California, has implemented several fabulous business techniques and has involved herself in several organizations that not only help the community, but help her bottom line. In her five years since opening, business is booming and Hairroin has become “addictive” to celebrities, Hollywood elite and cool locals. Although she couldn’t/wouldn't spill the beans on how she finished, Janine recently finished up a stint on SHEAR GENIUS, season 3, Here are some of our favorite successful salon “do”s:
- MAKEOVER PARTY FOR LOS ANGELES YOUTH NETWORK: “Each day I see homeless youth pass by my salon on their way to shelters,” says Janine. “I had to do something.” What Janine did was to offer a “Makeover Party” for the 12 – 21 year olds to come in, have their hair done, eat some good food and pick up some fine duds courtesy donations from Seven Jeans and Paris Hilton among many others. “It’s one thing to give food and fashion,” says Janine, “but it’s something even more to give back their self esteem and dignity.” Janine and the enthused staff hold the event one evening every December, but make themselves available as style gurus to the “kids” whenever they need a pick me up. All, of course, for free.
- BEAUTY BUS: Beauty Bus is an organization co-founded by Alicia Liotta, a former Modern editor and industry expert. The non-profit is committed to enhancing the quality of life for homebound, terminally and chronically ill people and their primary care givers by providing in-home beauty and grooming treatments free of charge. Janine and other Beauty Bus volunteer professionals go to these homes to offer services to these patients and has been doing it since the foundation launched this past June. “It’s a great way to use my craft as away give back,” says Janine…the first to “get on the bus”. “Doing something as simple as a haircut can really cheer someone up.”
- CHAMPAGNE FRIDAYS: Each Friday night clients come in to Hairroin to sip some bubbly and get $25 styles. “We are on the street that has the best bars and clubs in Hollywood,” says Janine. “This event is a great way to capture some of that night life and to help people without tons of money get ready for a great night. It's also a great way to get new clients to sample our salon.”
- LOCALS DISCOUNT: “We love having the vibe of the old fashioned neighborhood salon,” says Janine. “I am a great supporter of small businesses.” Any local business person gets a 20% discount.
- PIN UP PICTURES: “We get to do photoshoots all the time, so it’s a great way to give this opportunity to other people,” says Janine. For $300 clients come get their hair and makeup perfected and then get to sit in front of the camera for a photoshoot with a professional photographer. Each “model” walks away with a disk of 60 shots…three of which are professionally re-touched.