Yo. Sunday night was the premier of the new reality show on the Style Network: “Jerseylicious”. It was held at a restaurant on Sinatra Drive in Hoboken, New Jersey. How excellently "Jersey".
I had to go.
I had to go.
Jerseylicious is all about the Gatsby Salon of Green Brook, New Jersey. Turns out the salon is pretty much like most salons around the United States…just a bit more, well, DRAMATIC. The show focuses less on color and style and more on the relationships among the staff. Not surprisingly, the staff of 40 is quite successful, knowing HOW to best color, cut and style. They wouldn’t be successful if they didn’t know what they were doing. Sure, there’s lots of big hair, backcombing and internal strife…but still…Gatsby is a salon worthy of attention.
|Frankie Buglione, Gigi Liscio, Tracy DiMarco, Lorenzo Gangala, Gayle Giancomo, Christy Pereira and Anthony Lombardi|
While some estimates have the percentage of Italian-Americans residing in New Jersey at 25….it seems they are all profiled (and stereotyped) on reality TV. And most of them were at this premiere! There is a tiny shot I was the only non-Italian in the room. I can guarantee I was the palest.
Jerseylicious is the latest in a series of New Jersey slamming shows following the successes of “The Sopranos”, “Jersey Shore” and my personal un-favorite “The Real Housewives of New Jersey”. That one, in particular, rubs me the wrong way because THAT IS MY TOWN….and most Franklin Lakes residents do NOT throw tables around in restaurants!
Not that any or all of that is a bad thing…..
However, the Jerseylicious premiere was, well, “De-licious”. I spent time with owner Gayle Giacomo and her daughter (and salon manager) Christy Pereira. I also chatted with stylists and now reality stars Tracy DiMarco (she loved my New Jersey earrings) and Anthony Lombardi, (my new BFF who tried to fixed my pouf and who LOVES Modern Salon!) Each filled me in on something NOT shared on the show…but you will have to go to our next episode of Modernsalontv to find out!
Christy Pereira, salon manager and
Gayle Giacomo, salon owner
|Tracy DiMarco and Gayle Giacomo|
I know I will be tuning in for the next 7 episodes and admit it was exciting spending time with those Jerseylicous folk. Meanwhile, let’s get some things straight:
1. -First of all…its NEW Jersey.
2. -We are not all orange or "tanorexics".
3. -Most of us do NOT line our lips with the wrong shade and/or wear too tight clothing.
4. -Not everyone has giant hair.
5. Most of us know that "yous" is NOT a word...and that the Titanic is NOT an ocean.
6. Of all states, New Jersey ranks #6 in percentage of residents who have completed a bachelor’s degree (33.3%)
7. We are proudly the diner (and shopping mall) capital of the world.
8. The light bulb, phonograph and motion picture projector were invented in NEW Jersey (by Thomas Edison in his Menlo Park laboratory).
9. The first baseball game was played in New Jersey.
10. Frank Sinatra, Bruce Springsteen, John Travolta, Jon Bon Jovi, Jack Nicholson, Bruce Willis, Ice-T, Kevin Spacey, Meryl Streep, Danny DeVito, Derek Jeter, the Jonas Brothers, Shaquille O’Neal, Queen Latifah, Kelly Ripa…oh..this list is endless. These and more were smart enough to have been born in New Jersey.
Need I say more? New Jersey is a GREAT place to live! And as you all now know….it is JERSEYLICIOUS!!!
Maggie Mulhern and Anthony Lombardi