Adele’s larger than life upstyle matched her larger than life voice. Helen Mirren’s bouncy waves reflected her exuberant personality. This year the Golden Globes red carpet allowed stars to showcase their personal style with sass and panache, says Joico International Creative Director Damien Carney. Here are Damien’s picks for the best looks of the evening and tips for recreating each look.
Best Updos: Tie—Julianne Moore and Adele Getty ImgaesJulianne Moore
“I love the way Julianne’s beehive was reinvented,” says Damien. “It’s not over-worked or overly-backcombed—the size and proportion are perfect!”
Get the look:
1. Combine a pea-sized dollop of Joico Smooth Cure Leave-In Rescue Treatment and a golf-ball sized application of Joico Power Whip Whipped Foam to damp hair.
2. Blow dry with a large, round brush, smoothing and stretching to create natural body.
3. Establish a low side part.
4. Section off the crown area and backcomb lightly with a Mason Pearson-style brush. Mist the area with Joico Power Spray Fast Dry Finishing Spray to support the volume.
5. With your hands and the brush, smooth and direct one side toward the back. Working from nape to crown secure the sections with a vertical row of bobby pins, then criss-cross each pin with another set of pins. Work up to the crown.
6. Direct the other side back, fold and pleat, maintaining a full crown, and secure with bobby pins. The nape should be tight to the head, the top less so.
7. Mist with Power Spray.
“Adele’s big hair matches her big voice,” declares Damien. “It’s large and strong and evokes a modern ‘60s feeling.”
Get the look:
1. Apply two drops of Joico Smooth Cure Leave-In Rescue to damp hair, comb through and blow dry with a large round brush.
2. Set hair with heated rollers to create volume and body. Remove rollers and brush through thoroughly.
3. Isolate the front hairline and clip away.
4. Mist the remaining hair with Joico JoiShape Shaping and Finishing Spray. Once the spray dries, brush through—the spray will make it easier to control and construct the shape.
5. Divide the hair into two sections, front and back. Beginning at the crown, backcomb large, horizontal sections at the scalp. Continue backcombing, switching to vertical sections at the sides and finishing in the front.
6. Without disturbing the volume, lightly smooth and gather the hair away from the face.