Dreaming of success? It’s not that far away after you read these 10 secrets (exposed!) to becoming a successful hairdresser! Establish only a few of these tips into your daily routine and you will be happier with your career in the long run.
Here, Damien Carney, Joico International Artistic Director and multiple NAHA finalist, knows a thing or two about success. Here he offers five of his secrets:
1. Establish strong foundations. It starts with the basics – solid technical skills and a strong understanding of the business side of beauty.
2. Commit to continuing education inside the classroom and out. Information and inspiration are all around you and every experience can enrich you. Look around; remain constantly aware of the world. You never know what you might pick up from a random photo, the style of a passerby or even a casual chat.
3. You attract what you project. If you project energy and a great attitude, and you cultivate great technical skills, you’ll always have lots of interesting clients and a solid business. If you have a great personality your potential for growth will increase.
4. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes – if something turns out a bit shorter or longer or redder than you intended, figure out why, learn from it and move forward.
5. Customize your work. It doesn’t matter how flawless or exquisite a haircut is if it’s not on the right person. It’s important to understand the esthetics of your work so the hair suits the client’s facial features and shape, bone structure, complexion, body type and personal style.
Want more tips? Here are some from us!
6. Work hard. In the professional beauty industry, you have to hustle. Every day you walk into the salon show your employer that you brought your “A-Game.”
7. Put your work up on social media. Take before and after shots of your clients and post them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Collect followers and tell your clients. You can even use these mediums to market your services.
8. Invest in business cards. Make sure you have them on you at all times. You never know when you’re going to meet a new client!
9. Attend a trade show. These are the best places to get discounts on products, network with other hairdressers and colorists, learn about the new trends and attend classes. If you get a chance to go to one, go!
10. Be flexible with your clients. If one of your clients is having difficulty booking an appointment time with you, offer to see what time works best for them. Being flexible like this will make you stand out from the rest.
5 Ways to Keep Your Clients
By Lauren Salapatek | 09/12/2014 | WWW.MODERNSALON.COM | FEATURES
Treat every customer as if they sign your paycheck -- because they do. You cannot afford to lose even one customer -- see why.
3 No-fail Techniques to Help Increase Sales/Client Retention
By Lauren Salapatek | 01/22/2014 | WWW.FIRSTCHAIR.COM | FEATURES
Tiffany Conway, Guest Artist on the Goldwell North American Artistic Team, offered SALON TODAY these tips to stylists and salon owners to help them increase sales/client retention.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.