Warm but not brassy. Cool but not ashy. That’s the beauty of this Café Au Lait brunette balayage by L’Oréal Professionnel Artist Min Kim.
Min refreshed regrowth and also balanced previously-applied chunky highlights with lowlights, using several L’Oréal Professionnel signature balayage techniques.
Keep lowlights away from the face to prevent a too-dark face-frame.
Place a bright “money piece” around the face to enhance the complexion.
Use clear plastic to protect the color application.
Café Au Lait.
“Brunette balayage is one of my most requested services,” says L’Oréal Professionnel Artist Min Kim. “When executed properly, it enhances a variety of skin tones and gives brunettes the option to maintain their color as often or infrequently as possible.”
Here, Min’s client showed up with grown-out, chunky, Level 8 highlights everywhere but the crown, with breakage throughout zones 2 and 3. Min’s goal was to rebalance the color by adding depth to the previously-lightened hair with softer tone-on-tone pieces, using her favorite warm-but-not-brassy shade of L’Oréal Professionnel DIA Richesse 6.32. And here’s a hot tip from Min: “Avoid adding lowlighting around the face and throughout the ends (zone 3) for a more natural, sun kissed effect.”
Here’s how Min created this not-too warm, not-too ashy, just right Café Au Lait brunette balayage.
- Create three sections—back, left and right--and secure with clips.
- Starting in the nape, alternate Formula 1 and Formula 2, utilizing Formula 1 to refresh regrowth using double point balayage application.
- Apply Formula 2 in single point balayage pieces starting in the mid-lengths and moving through the ends to create more depth.
- Continue working upward in horizontal subsections at the front of head.
- Complete the application using triple point balayage to create the “money piece” in front, incorporating the hair from the front hairline and part.
- Process to desired level, rinse thoroughly, do not shampoo.
- Apply Smartbond Step 2. Process for 10 minutes.
Removal and Rinsing:
- Wet, emulsify, rinse and shampoo once with L’Oréal Professionnel A-OX Vitamino Color Shampoo.
- Condition and preserve radiance with a Serie Expert Powermix Repair in-salon treatment.
Discover more tips and how-tos from the balayage leaders at L’Oréal Professionnel.
Check out classes on the French Balayage technique at the L’Oréal Professionnel academies on the East and West Coasts at www.lpregister.com/balayage.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.