Los Angeles celebrity color expert, platform artist, educator, and salon owner, Marco Pelusi, will be sharing his color technique for Off-the-Scalp Highlighting at the American Board of Certified Haircolorists Energizing Summit, June 9 and 10 in Los Angeles. Pelusi’s clean and simple technique tackles the pitfalls faced when clients want dimension in their haircolor, but do not want highlights coming out directly from the scalp.
Here are some of Pelusi’s Top Tips:
- When doing off-scalp highlighting with foils, always place the lightener at least 2 ½ - 3 inches away from the scalp on each foil, as a guide.
- Avoid placing the lightener on the foil IN A STRAIGHT LINE. Always aim the brush in at an angle; preferably two angles, creating a “V” or “W” or “N” shape on the foil with the lightener.
- Slices will give you a more pronounced result, weaving will give you a softer end result. Select based on the client’s desired result.
- Always remember, “thicker is quicker” with lightener product. The more lightener is in the mix (thicker), the faster it will work. The more developer is in the mix (thinner), the slower it will work. Up to you to plan before approaching the highlighting.
- You may wish to throw a quick “pop” of closer-to-the-scalp highlights just through the fringe area, to create a bit of lightness near and around the face.
- Always work with the round of the head, and the way the hair grows, when approaching an off-scalp highlight, to achieve an effect that will grow in well. You can never go wrong by working with the natural shape of the head and the fall patterns of the hair.
Scheduled for June 9-10, 2019 at the Marriott Hotel LAX, the Energizing Summit will feature 147 separate classes conducted by 43 educators. Pelusi will be teaching two classes on June 9--one at 11 and one at 3:30. Marco will demonstrate where to place the highlights in relation to the scalp area, the best highlight placement techniques, and most importantly, his signature ‘tipping’ technique for the mid-lengths and ends of the hair.
You can also catch him on June 16 at the International Beauty Show (IBS) Vegas show. Tickets and more information here.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.