Getting judged? MODERN was at the Goldwell Color Zoom Challenge in Berlin, Germany and I was on a panel of 9 industry experts judging the 75 semi-finalists from around the world.
In my 33 years with MODERN I have judged possibly thousands of competitions including everything from photo to nail to make up and even Miss Teen New Jersey. It is always an honor to be invited to judge and I take it quite seriously. I want everyone to win!!! But since everyone can't I wanted to give you the insider scoop on doing well.
Goldwell's Color Zoom is unique in that it has a photo and live element, all judged in one day. Fresh from Berlin, I wanted to share my latest top 5 TIPS on winning ANY beauty competition:
- FOLLOW THE RULES: In many competitions there are several winning looks. Sometimes the judges have to eliminate a fantastic entry simply because the competitor did not follow the rules (example: using extensions when not allowed, entry arriving late, photoshop, etc.).
- KNOW HOW YOU ARE BEING JUDGED: In one competition the judges were charged with checking on the competitors stations to make sure they were kept neat and professional during the competition. If possible, ask to see the scoring sheet to see what is most critical. Wouldn’t it be horrible if you lost points because your model put her coffee cup on your station?
- WHO’S JUDGING?: This is key. If the judges are all consumer magazine editors, you may want to reign it in (They don't always understand strong haircolor and shape). If any of the judges are previous winners, check out their work.
- GET THE BEST MODEL POSSIBLE: Make sure your model is best for the look you are creating. Although you don’t need a top model, pretty or interesting DOES help. Is height/weight important? Not in a photo competition, but in a live competition where a runway is involved, it seems the tall/thin models have an edge.
- PAY ATTENTION TO THE DETAILS: Everything matters. You will get extra positive attention in a hair competition if the make up, nails and fashion work with your finish.
Check out this interview with Mark Leeson, a top artist and competitor, and fellow judge for the Goldwell Color Zoom Challenge. It’s short and filled with great tips. And really…if you are a colorist/stylist and NOT committed to a different color line…you MUST enter this competition. It’s fantastic!!!! For more details about the competition, go to: www.colorzoom.com
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.