Ten students enrolled in professional nail education programs have been awarded BCL | CND | Tippi Hedren Nail Scholarships, funded by CND and administered by the Beauty Changes Lives Foundation. Each scholarship winner will receive full tuition in a professional nail program at an American Association of Cosmetology Schools member school, up to $5,000.
Winners and their respective scholarship schools are as follows:
- Andrea Beight, Brown Aveda Institute, Mentor, OH
- Brittany Davis, Charleston Cosmetology, Charleston, SC
- Myeshia Jefferson, Northern California Institute of Cosmetology, San Leandro, CA
- Caitlyn Leatham, Cameo College, Salt Lake City, UT
- Yavonne Lewis, International Salon and Spa Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
- Robin “Christine” Lewis, Glen Dow Academy, Spokane, WA
- Shantelle McBride, The Salon Professional Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
- Jacqueline McNeice, Rudy and Kelly Academy, Virginia Beach, VA
- Margherita Tedesco, Casal Aveda Institute, Youngstown, OH
- Angela Thorson, International Salon and Spa Academy, Colorado Springs, CO
The BCL | CND | Tippi Hedren Nail Scholarship program honors actress and humanitarian Tippi Hedren for her work helping thousands of people find rewarding careers in the professional nail industry. The scholarships also shine the spotlight on the evolution of the nail industry. CND Co-Founder Jan Arnold said that advances in technology and social media have accelerated interest in nail design and that nail care has moved from a grooming ritual to a form of self-expression.
“The development of CND SHELLAC brand 14+ day nail color revolutionized the industry, and the impact of social media cannot be overstated,” says Arnold, noting that nail art is among the top five most tagged items on Instagram and Pinterest.
The popularity of nail design has also prompted interest in nail education. A 2014 survey reported by NAILS Magazine found that 70% of respondents had attended a nail education program in the past year and 63% expect to attend more educational events in the future.
Beauty Changes Lives Foundation President Lynelle Lynch said the foundation’s nail scholarships have enjoyed strong support from professional nail industry media, manufacturers and celebrity nail designers. “We’ve recently been honored to engage nail artist Fleury Rose as a Beauty Changes Lives mentor, judge and ambassador for our scholarships and mentorships,” Lynch says. “The generous support of the professional nail industry has been overwhelming.”
Scholarship winners were selected by a judging panel that reviewed applicants’ digital videos, essays, and inspiration boards expressing their passion for careers in the professional nail care industry. Information on Beauty Changes Lives scholarships, including the next BCL | CND | Tippi Hedren Scholarship program is available at beautychangeslives.org/scholarships.