When a dedicated beauty professional becomes determined to fight a disease, it’s powerful! A beauty pro for 35 years and a former salon owner, Michelle Moore Bell was spending so much effort increasing breast cancer awareness that she decided to found The Wellness Group as a nonprofit organization devoted to the cause. On November 5, Moore and The Wellness Group will hold its 15th Annual Breast Health Awareness Celebration of Life Breakfast from 8:30am to 12:30pm in Los Angeles. Although there are donation opportunities and various levels of sponsorship, the event is open to all women to attend at no charge.
Bell has volunteered for the American Cancer Society’s (ACS) Look Good Feel Better program to help women with issues related to chemotherapy. Currently, she is a volunteer with the Susan G. Komen Los Angeles County Affiliate and very active in the Komen Circle of Promise campaign to help empower African American women to be proactive about their breast health.
“I am passionate about breast cancer awareness,” says Moore, a breast cancer survivor herself. “While there are no known ways to prevent breast cancer, early detection is the key to breast cancer survival. The risk increases with age, but all women are at risk. Most women who get breast cancer have no known risk factor except being a woman and getting older. Men get breast cancer, too!”
Moore encourages women to get regular mammograms and shares with her clients her best advice about maintaining a healthy lifestyle:
- Know that you are special!
- Change your habits, and you will change your life.
- Get plenty of sleep. Take a cat nap! Napping for just 20 minutes can recharge your energy levels and reduce stress.
- Exercise 3-5 times a week for 20-30 minutes. Make exercise fun.
- Eat a hearty breakfast, such as plain oatmeal, plain yogurt, fresh fruit and unsalted nuts.
- Keeping healthy foods in your pantry is the key for living a healthy and balanced life. Eat your colors every day!
- Start right now! Today is a great time to renew, refresh and recharge yourself.