The Salon By InStyle inside JCPenney and jcp salon announces its Project Cinderella, a new employment program and compensation structure uniting the benefits of working for a salon and the autonomy of being a independent stylist.
Project Cinderella, which rolls out nationally in more than 800 salons beginning January 29, boasts zero rental or supply fees, and commissions beginning for Designers at 50% and up to 70% commissions for top-producing Master stylists.
According to Natalie Lockhart, vice president of JCPenney salons, the new commission structure is an employment and compensation program that offers senior stylists the benefits of an employment position, with the flexibility and earning potential of an independent salon operator.
“Our goal is to attract new stylists to our innovative salons by offering some of the industry’s highest commission and benefit packages, while creating an environment where our employees can grow and thrive,” Lockhart says.
The lineup of incentives for eligible Project Cinderella associates include:
- Flexible scheduling. Stylists are permitted to set their own schedules.
- The option to establish individual service pricing.
- Up to 70% commission based on performance.
- Benefits. Stylists are part of the JCPenney team, which entitles eligible associates to medical and dental insurance, paid time off, associate discount and a 401K retirement plan.
- Free education. Learning is essential to professional growth and JCPenney offers comprehensive advanced education programs.
The company first tested the new commission rates a year ago in select cities. After what the company describes as an overwhelming response, the program is now offered in more than 800 JCPenney salons nationwide.
“We took a look at what’s happening in the industry and noticed the increase in people interested in going independent,” says Dilek Onur Taylor, a creative directors for The Salon by InStyle. “That can be a great option for people—but it’s also a struggle to run your own business so the success rate isn’t always as high. Project Cinderella is a creative opportunity for Master stylists to set their own schedule and prices, plus enjoy all the salon's conveniences and camaraderie.”
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.