Al Campbell, Sam Villa Ambassador and owner of D Alexander Studios @al_alexander, deals with so many different types of hair texture in Chicago that it became important to clarify the difference between a blow dry and a silk press service. Both use a brush and dryer, but the approach and end results are very different.
- Blow Out – A round brush is used to add body and volume.
- Silk Press – A paddle brush is used with high tension, similar to a flat wrap, to smooth textured hair.
Silk press smooths highly textured hair without chemicals in one sitting and lasts until hair is shampooed or gets wet. Watch Campbell do an entire silk press below:
How To: Silk Press
1. Prep Hair: Detangle hair by applying Mizani 25 Miracle Milk (adds slip and builds moisture) and a Sam Villa Signature Series Paddle Brush. Start at the ends and work up to remove loose hair.
2. Clarify: Shampoo to clarify hair and ensure it’s receptive to moisture – use Mizani Moisture Fusion Gentle Clarifying Shampoo for moderate buildup or Redken Hair Cleansing Cream for more intense buildup.
3. Shampoo and Condition: Use Mizani Thermasmooth Shampoo and Condition - let conditioner set for 5-7 minutes before rinsing with cool water.
4. Section: Apply Mizani 25 Miracle Milk as a leave in and section hair into 8 sections with the Sam Villa Signature Series Tail Comb using Bantu knots to control the hair and to retain moisture.
5. Blow Dry: Dry each section with a dime size amount of Mizani Thermasmooth Sleek Guard Smoothing Cream for smoothing/heat protection and a Sam Villa Light Professional Ionic Blow Dryer on high heat/speed with a paddle brush for maximum tension/stretch to lay the cuticle flat.
6. Iron: Section hair from ear to ear and start in the back with diagonal back sections in the nape (for comfort and closeness) using the Sam Villa Signature Series Sleekr Professional Straightening Iron and a tail comb. Remember to comb chase with the iron to smooth strands before they are ironed for maximum smoothness.
7. Finish: After a silk press, hair can be left silky and straight or embellished with curls or waves.
Tune in weekly to learn more tips and tricks from the Sam Villa team here.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.