Marilyn Cole, an Artistic Advisor for Aloxxi and owner of Elektrum Hair Studio in West Hollywood, California, is a color specialist. She has learned over the years that the color experience can and should be very different in the professional world. Here she offers her top 6 tips for colorists on HOW TO be at the top of your game and keep ahead of the pack:
- THE CONSULTATION: “This is really the most important tip. This is when you determine your game plan after communicating with the client about his or her desired end result.
- WEAR GLOVES: “It protects your hands from staining, client protection and makes you look more professional.”
- USE A PRIMER: “I use Aloxxi Colourprime to even out porosity, cleanse and to de-sensitize the scalp.”
- USE A BARRIER CREAM: “I always use a barrier cream. It prevents staining and provides the ultimate color experience.”
- DO A STRAND TEST: “A strand test ensures consistent and predictable results. I ALWAYS do a strand test. Many clients may not be sure what has been done in previous services, particularly new clients.
- KEEP ON TOP OF YOUR CRAFT: “Professionals should be at the forefront of all technologies, products and tools available and on the horizon. Make sure to embrace advanced education and learn everything new that’s out there.”
Check out this short video and learn from Cole, who MODERN met at a recent photoshoot in Los Angeles.