The pompadour, a favorite of men and their barbers in the 40s and 50s, has made a comeback. Once a classic, always classy, this hairstyle flatters many different types of hair and heads.
Alyssa Lynn Von of The Barbers in Vancouver, Washington, who in 2015 became the first woman to capture the American Crew U.S. All-Star Challenge, an annual styling and photographic competition, likes updating classic styles with a contemporary twist.
"Today, men don't always have the time to keep the full, long length hair that was required of yesterday's pompadour," Von (@ladyvonbarber) says. "So, we barbers and stylists can cut down the sides, making them shorter, for a longer lasting, easy-to-style haircut. It's an easy way for men to wear a classic look but with a more modern cut. It allows them to style and get out the door, fast."
To create the cut:
- Dampen hair all over and apply American Crew Medium Hold Spray Gel to create controlled movement to begin the haircut.
- Create a high horseshoe shaped parting.
- Start with 1A blade at the highest point where the fade will begin from the blending of the lower part of the horseshoe shape.
- Work from one side, following around the whole head, to the other end of the head.
- Next, attach 1 blade and work right below the 1A blade repeating same method as 1A blade (from the side of the head working your way all the way around the head to the other end of side of head.)
- You will keep on following these steps with each blade one right after the other working below each other: 1A, 1, 0A, 000, 00000.
- Mirror the blades to create a mirror fade.
- After done with the fade, go to the top of the horseshoe shape bangs and create a long length guide with shears. While cutting the top make sure you are leaving lots of length to be able to create the pompadour style.
- Using the front guide create a long to short layer going to the back of the head.
- Once you have layered all hair from long to short you can begin the blend of the horseshoe shape from bottom to top, using clipper over comb using 00000 blade to blend with a barber's comb.
- Start from one side of the head around to the back to the other side (same as the fading technique).
- After blending use a feather razor to create areas that need extra blending, texture, and lighter ends on top.
- Loosen cap and tuck in a towel to create easy scooping for trimming long hairs on back and neck.
- Clean off hairs by applying American Crew Ultra Gliding Shave Gel all over where the 00000 blade started at the end of the fade.
- Once applied use a feather razor to create a feather razor fade for a close fade that will be longer lasting and will be a natural grow-out with no lines.
- Wash hair with American Crew Daily Shampoo and Conditioner.
Styling the Pompadour:
- Towel dry hair.
- Apply American Crew Firm Hold Styling Gel.
- Blow dry hair up and back to create volume in front of the face going away to the back of the head.
- By doing this it will create longer lasting style for the day. Once dry apply American Crew Grooming Cream for the finishing look.
- Comb hair into place.
For reprint and licensing requests for this article, Click here.